Author Topic: What’s the difference between a teacher and a train engineer?  (Read 6708 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question e-mailed by Mr. Juanito T. Fuerte, Forum member (June 2, 2013):

Hi, Joe,

In connection with the topic (chiasmus) you discussed the previous week (“A figure of speech that’s often used to subvert reason and logic”), here’s one for you: What is the difference between a teacher and a train engineer?

Even if you don’t know the answer offhand, I know you can easily figure it out. But, just for fun,  I thought I’d ask the question anyway. 

Take care and all the best, as always.

Juanito T. Fuerte

My reply to Mr. Fuerte:

Dear Juanito:

That’s a very tough question, and I must admit that I had to scratch my head for not just a few minutes, but to no avail. That’s when I said what the heck, I might as well Google it and lo! the following answer popped out of my computer screen in no time at all:

“A teacher trains directors, and a railroad engineer directs trains.”

As you cryptically hinted in your note, that answer is indeed a chiasmus, with the word “trains” repeated—first as a verb in the present tense, then as a noun in the plural form—to yield different ideas in a deliciously parallel juxtaposition.

Thanks for sharing that chiasmus with me!

With my best wishes,
Joe Carillo

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What’s the difference between a teacher and a train engineer?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Rejoinder e-mailed by Mr. Juanito T. Fuerte, June 4, 2013:

Hi, Joe,

The difference between a teacher and a train engineer? “A teacher trains the mind, and a train engineer minds the train.” 

As you can see, the answer you gave and the one I have may be worded differently but the thought is the same. And you’re absolutely right about the key word “train.” In addition, the word “mind” also came in (as a noun and then as a verb) to add tang to what you described as “deliciously parallel juxtaposition.”

Perhaps it would be even more fun (besides enriching) if you could also think of other questions the answers to which are in the form of chiasmus. You then can invite other Forum members to participate by finding or providing the right answers to the questions.

Thanks for playing along, Joe, and have a good day yourself!

All the best,
Juanito Fuerte