Author Topic: Watching out against the verbal fallacies  (Read 20123 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Watching out against the verbal fallacies
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:04:59 AM »
We began our discussion of the logical fallacies by grouping them into three broad categories: material fallacies, fallacies of relevance, and verbal fallacies. We have already taken up the material fallacies, or conclusions that are not adequately proven because they contain wrong presuppositions, as well as the fallacies of relevance, those arguments that seek to persuade people to accept evidently nonlogical propositions. This time we will focus on the verbal fallacies, or the false statements or conclusions that result when words are used improperly or ambiguously, whether by ourselves or by other people. They are the fallacies of ambiguity, equivocation, amphiboly, composition, division, and abstraction.

We must keep in mind that the problem with verbal fallacies is not so much faulty logical thinking as the inadvertent or deliberate lack of clarity in language. This generally results from the wrong or slippery use of words, whether spoken or written, and it sometimes happens by accident, as in a slip of the tongue, an error in penmanship, or hitting the wrong key of the word processor. Normally, no great harm is done in such cases. When used deliberately with malice or ill intent, however, these misuses of language can trick or mislead people into making wrong decisions or choices. This is particularly true during major political campaigns, when candidates frenetically engage in all sorts of verbal legerdemain to prop themselves up or demolish their opponents.

Let’s now take up the verbal fallacies one and by one and give illustrative examples of each: 

Ambiguity. The use of undefined words or words whose meaning is vague constitutes an ambiguity. For example, let’s take a look at this campaign slogan of a presidential candidate that’s currently airing on Philippine radio: “Candidate X: Pinili ng Taong Bayan” [Chosen by the People]. These obvious questions arise: What was he chosen for and in what context and in what manner? And who were those people who chose him and how many were they? And even if they chose him, so what? The answers to these questions are perplexing and unclear, thus putting such slogans in the class of verbal fallacies by ambiguity.

Another case of an arresting verbal ambiguity is this slogan of another presidential candidate, currently airing on radio: “Panata Ko—Tapusin Ang Kahirapan!” [My Pledge—Put an End to Poverty!]. It’s a magnificent but vague commitment—and really now, how plausible is it? Precisely how will the candidate end such an intractable sociological problem as poverty? What if the listener happened to be enormously rich—would that promise still apply to him or her? Pledges like this, no matter how well-intentioned, constitute a verbal fallacy by looseness of language.

And here’s a slogan in the TVcommercial of a senatorial candidate: “Gusto Ko, Happy Ka!” [I Want You to Be Happy!]. Sounds arresting and disarmingly candid, but what does it really mean? And how does the candidate’s desire to make you happy relate to his fitness for the position he’s gunning for? The  problem with this slogan lies in its vague, seemingly child-like message, putting it the class of fallacies by ambiguity.

On a less political note, the fallacy of ambiguity also results when the writer’s definitions of the words he uses don’t match those of the reader’s. Take this newspaper headline: “Helicopter powered by human flies” (“Human-powered helicopter flies” better?). Or this newspaper passage: “The sociologists visited the Tasadays [a supposedly Stone Age tribe in the Philippines, later shown to be of doubtful authenticity] and took photographs of their half-naked women, but they were not properly developed.” (How was that again? Which or what were not properly developed? The women’s bodily features or the exposed photographic negative? Try fixing that sentence in your mind.)

Equivocation. People commit this fallacy when they loosely use a word in more than one sense, yet give the impression that they mean only one. Since they sometimes can’t even differentiate the meanings, they may not even know they are equivocating.

Here are some examples of the fallacy of equivocation:

“All fair things are virtuous. My fiancée is fair; therefore, my fiancée is virtuous.” Here, the word “fair” is being used in two senses: in the first, “impartial and honest,” and in the second, “lovely and pleasing.” Likewise, the word “virtuous” is also being used in two senses: in the first, “righteous and morally upright,” in the second, “chaste.” Both premise and conclusion therefore aren’t valid here, so the statement is actually a verbal fallacy of equivocation.

‘Be Intelligent. Use Iodized Salt Every Day.” This was the slogan of a multisectoral nutrition campaign a few years ago that promoted the regular intake of iodized salt. It’s a catchy slogan, of course, but note that while it uses the word “intelligent” in more than one sense, it gives the impression that only one is meant. In the process, it commits two verbal fallacies in a row—that you can make yourself intelligent simply by an act of will, and that using iodized salt every day will make you intelligent. These are obviously oversimplifications—verbal fallacies, in fact—that are unworthy of serious belief.

Literature, too, has its share of fallacies of equivocation—but largely for the pleasure to be derived from wordplay. In particular, the playwright William Shakespeare was an inveterate punner, one who wasn’t above using words in four different senses all at once. In his play Love’s Labour’s Lost, a character rhapsodizes: “Light, seeking light, doth light of light beguile.” (Here, “light” is used to mean “intellect,” “wisdom,” “eyesight,” and “daylight.”). The Bard of Avon would also willfully mix up the use of verbs, adjectives, and nouns, as when a character says in this line from The Merry Wives of Windsor: “I will description the matter to you.” (Try that in English grammar class and your teacher’s sure to flunk you!)

Amphiboly. This fallacy results from ambiguous or faulty grammatical structures. The error is not with a specific word but with how the words connect or fail to connect. English is particularly susceptible to amphiboly because its vocabulary is so rich and its sentence structures so flexible.

Here are two examples:

“Slow Men At Work” (Without ambiguity: “Slow: Men At Work”). Here, of course, proper punctuation makes all the difference.

“Big Bargain: New highchair for toddler with a missing leg” (Without ambiguity: “Big Bargain: New toddler’s highchair with a missing leg”). Here, we have a misplaced modifying phrase that needed to be relocated to its proper place.

A classic case of amphiboly arises when the adverb “only” is variously positioned in these sentences: “She only wrote that.” “Only she wrote that.” “She wrote only that.” “She wrote that only.” Four possible positions in all! A careless writer could very well chose a position for “only” that makes the statement yield a meaning other than what he or she intended, and that statement would be an amphiboly.

Composition. This is the fallacy of assuming that a group as whole will have the same attributes as the individuals that comprise it. Consider the following examples:

“Atoms have no color. Flowers are made up of atoms.Therefore, flowers have no color.” (What's true of the part isn't necessarily true of the whole.)

“The numbers 3 and 5 are both odd. 3 and 5 are parts of 8. Therefore, the number 8 is odd.” (8, of course, is very much an even number!)

“An elephant eats more food than a human; therefore, elephants as a group eat more food than do all the humans in the world.” (We humans grossly outnumber the elephants, so we consume more food than they.)

Division. The converse of the fallacy of composition, this fallacy assumes that the individuals in a group have the same qualities as the group itself. In reality, though, what is true of the whole isn’t necessarily true of its parts.)

“The United States is the world’s richest country; therefore, all Americans must be rich and live very well.” (This simply couldn’t be true, for there are slums in the U.S., too!)

“That rock band is the best our city has; therefore, its members are also the city’s best rock band players.” (For all we know, that band may only have a so-so bass guitarist.)

“The average Filipino family has 3.3 children. The de la Cruzes are a Filipino family. Therefore, the de la Cruzes must have 3.3 children.” (This conclusion obviously doesn’t follow. Apart from the fact that the size of the average family won’t necessarily be equal to the the size of any family among the whole set of families, it’s also an impossibility for a family to have a fractional number of children.)

Abstraction. This fallacy is the classical error of postulating or believing that everything that one comprehends through pure reasoning can actually happen in reality. This is the audacious illogic in the following quote in some inspirational posters: “Everything your mind can conceive, your body can achieve.” Sounds a very desirable possibility indeed, but saying it is actually the height of naiveté or lack of knowledge about the ways of the world.

Another form of the abstraction fallacy is taking a quoted statement out of context. For example, a London newspaper carried a review with this critique of a theatrical performance: “I couldn’t help feeling that, for all the energy, razzmatazz and technical wizardry, the audience had been shortchanged.” The promoters of the stage play then pared this statement down to this blurb in their newspaper advertising: “…having ‘energy, razzmatazz and technical wizardry.’” That, of course, is a fallacy of abstraction that shamelessly distorts the intent and spirit of the original statement.

Politics is often replete with such fallacies of abstraction. Take a look at this slogan of a presidential candidate: “Di pa tapos ang laban, ipagpapatuloy ko” [The fight’s not over yet, I’ll continue it!]. Precisely what fight was that and whose fight was it? Against whom or what? And what’s the point of wanting to continue that fight? And finally, will the voter automatically benefit from that fight being continued by this particular candidate?

The slogan of another presidential candidate also makes use of a similar fallacious abstraction: “Pag May Erap, May Ginhawa” [If There’s Erap, There’s Great Relief]. This, of course, is wordplay using a popular Filipino folk saying, “Kung may hirap, may ginhawa,” where the Tagalog word “hirap” (suffering) has been deftly and ingeniously replaced by the similar-sounding nickname of the candidate. It’s obviously an inspired and memorable slogan, but it can easily be shown to have no bearing with reality at all.   

Indeed, against all the verbal fallacies we have discussed above, vigilance over language—whether those of others or our own—is actually our only sure and effective line of defense. Let’s keep that in mind particularly in this frenzied political campaign season. 

From the weekly column “English Plain and Simple” by Jose A. Carillo in The Manila Times, June 25, 2003, © 2003 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. Revised and updated March 5, 2010. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:38:29 AM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: Watching out against the verbal fallacies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:49:10 AM »
Watching out against the verbal fallacies

Is this a Filipinoism?    The Anglo-Saxon idiom is watch out for.....

...bearing with reality at all.

Another one?   We of Anglo-Saxon derivation say bearing on reality.

(Try that in English grammar glass

Whoops!   How did that get past the editor?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:37:43 AM »
No, maxsims, the expression “watching out against (something)” in that statement of mine isn’t a Filipinism. It’s legitimate English that I’m using it to mean “guard against (something),” and in this case that something is “the verbal fallacies.” I know that “watch out for (something)” is the more common Anglo-Saxon idiom, but my problem with “watch out for (something)” is that it often conveys an ambiguous meaning, first “to be on the alert for (something)” in a negative way, as in “Watch out for snakes at 35,000 feet,” and second “to look forward keenly to seeing something,” as in “Watch out for the release of The Avatar in your neighborhood multiplex.” (The other problem is that this latter sentence is also more concisely—and idiomatically—expressed as “Watch for the release of The Avatar in your neighborhood multiplex,” without the “out.”) I therefore decided that it would be wise and prudent to use the expression “watching out against (something)” to categorically and unequivocally convey the idea of “guarding against” that something.

The big question, of course, is this: Am I grammatically or idiomatically wrong in choosing that usage? I don’t think so. I know that I’m in the minority here—there are only 745,000 entries for that usage in Google against 91,600,000 for “watching out for (something).” You’ll note, though, that those 91,600,000 entries are littered every now and then with uses of “watching out for (something)” in the wrong positive sense, as in this example that I picked out at random from the Google entries: “Top 3 Indie Games to Watch Out For.” (The positive sense is clear from this drift of this statement that follows that headline: “Now that gamemakers can turn a profit off digitally distributed small titles, big publishers tend to view indie gamemakers as potential partners rather than mere curiosities.”)

In short, for the reasons I gave above, I’m quite comfortable using “watching out against (something)” even if Anglo-Saxons think it’s not their accepted idiom. At the very least, it makes my meaning clear and unequivocal—which I think is what English and any other language should aspire for all the time, the popular idiom notwithstanding.

As to my use of the expression “bearing with reality” instead of what you say is the Anglo-Saxon preference, “bearing on reality,” I’m also not bothered by my usage. Again, I’m in the minority based on Google’s  293,000:25,000 entry ratio. But no matter. The Anglo-Saxon preference notwithstanding, I think my usage is perfectly grammatical and I’m perfectly able to get my message across.

You hit the bull's-eye, though, when you pointed out that typo where “class” came out as “glass” in “Try that in English grammar glass...” It’s a terrible oversight and I’ll fix right after this. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:43:10 AM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »
...I therefore decided that it would be wise and prudent to use the expression “watching out against (something)” to categorically and unequivocally convey the idea of “guarding against” that something..

Joe, if you categorically and unequivocally wanted to convey the idea of "guarding against', why didn't you use those very words?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:35:56 PM »
Honestly, I decided against using "guarding against" because it might convey the wrong impression that I'd go to the extent of hiring security guards to protect myself from verbal fallacies. The imagery of some words--"guarding" in particular--is simply too strong as to make them unfit for use in certain instances. At least "watching out against" is more circumspect and, well, euphemistic.  ::) 

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
Are you having a lend of us?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
It took me a while to answer because I couldn't figure out what you meant by "lend." Thankfully, I finally found a definition of that puzzling usage in Babylon.com. Here's what is says:

Australian Slang
Have a lend of
take advantage of somebody's gullibility, have someone on; tease someone: "He's having a lend of you"

A nice, charming bit of slang, maxsims, but I don't mean what I said in exactly that light. I'm quite serious with my aversion to using the word "guard against" in the context of "watching out (against)." You see, when some American friends of mine from the US mainland come to the Philippines, they are always amazed--I think "perplexed" is the better word--by the strong propensity of Philippine businesses to hire and deploy so many security guards in their establishments. Bank branches in the Philippines, in particular, have so many fully armed security guards that they look like garrisons; shopping malls and stand-alone shops, too. Why? my American friends would ask.

I'm always hesitant to tell them that having so many security guards is simply a measure of our state of insecurity in this country. It's in stark contrast to the seeming complacency of banks in some states in the U.S. Once, in fact, when I did some transaction for a relative in a branch of a major bank in the US Midwest several years ago, it sent chills down my spine not to see a single security guard in the bank premises. How could they be so lax with security, I thought, picturing in my mind that back home in the Philippines a bank branch of comparable size would have as many as four or five uniformed, fully armed security guards!

Now I hope you understand why I have a phobia against "guarding against."  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:03:26 PM by Joe Carillo »

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »
Buenos dias Joe :)
Thank you for the kind wishes and reminder that indeed, I have been amiss in my participation here. My apologies and no, I haven't started learning Urdu or Polynesian, hahahah---I wish! Still, how nice of you to remember me and I truly appreciate your candour for telling me off!
Well, sir, I will now say a few words to comment on the slogans in Tagalog which you have mentioned, and which can be sometimes annoying especially for consumers and constituents who are fed with just too many, meaningless, crass ones----the one I particularly dislike is the PDI's
"boto mo ipatrol mo"----Que? What? This gets my goat, or did get my goat when this slogan was
active and pernicious in its attempt to woo younger and new voters alike. Woe to the older ones
who have to contend with such crass, malicious and downright silly banner---and all in the name of
direct hatred to the president.
The PDI's attempt to be "whiter than white"  has reached dangerous, toxic levels that I have now
stopped reading their half-truths, half-lies and nothing in between. Do we keep saying, "such is the way of the country (and its unsolved ills)--but who are those people perpetrating and prolonging the 
ccountry's ills? Who is the country's number one enemy? Who are those journalists, who, for lack of anything good to say, promotes nothing but ore misleading news, unfounded/baseless stories ???

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
...Oops, sorry...continue here, please.
yes, after reading your review re Raul S Gonzalez's "My Malacanang", it had made me realise that in the context of Philipine Politics and Policies, nothing indee would change now, or for that matter, our own constituents. What change or changes are our citizens looking for? The change they should be talking about is the change in their attitude. No matter how we try to change the rules of the politicians' game(s), we are still bereft of decent political minds that should be the core to solve the day-to-day ills of the country. Sure, we may have the most highly-educated, the highest possessors of IQ, finest minds, finest clans---but do we really need these kinds of people if, for want of a better word, the counstituents themselves refuse to muster the sick political system, which for them, doesn't need changing? For the life of me, I just don't understand the Filipino psyche anymore. Here's one example. An fb friend of mine, has definite plans of seeking a Senatorial post in 2016. He is in his mid-thirties and has grand ambitions to be, and I will write them in bold letters as this was how he now portrays himself: SOMEBODY, LEGENDARY STATESMAN----his words---not mine. When I went to  his page and began asking him the simple question of why he wanted to be a senator/politician, when he is himself a successful real estate businessman, he didn't like it. "Why are you asking me that question? Why are you putting me in a spot? If you want to ask questions, go to my blog. What makes you think I will allow you to ask such questions? Yes, Joe, this is the guy who wants to "serve our country honestly.....more to follow

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »
part 3..
This guy professes to be "clean", honest, that he will not steal, that he will not be bribed, etcetera, etcetera...so, we had an argument..to make the long story short, he said blatantly, "I will not read anymore of your comments, and I will delete e :) :)verything that you have said on my page." Indeed, Joe, he deleted all my comments. Why? He did not like a future voter to ask him rudimentary questions! And if this is the kind of politician he is going to be, God help us all!!! What attitude, what guile! He beats his chest each time he says something about our politicians, but here he is, through an fb cyberface mirror, talking like a true, despicable future politician. When I sent him a personal message (since I didn't want to embarrass him) he replied: "I will not read this message and I will delete it now." Wow, Joe, what arrogance. He will surely be a potential thief, a liar, an incompetent elected Senator---and the way he preaches to other fb friends as if he was already a senator, and his godliness is assured! Now, tell me, if he is just another future politician, how many more of his ilk would jab his way through the masa psyche and prey on them? Anyway, I shall reveal his name here because this is the man we DO NOT want sitting and warming his seat in Congress. John Odonell Petalcorin---the man never for people to vote! Thank you Joe for a great review of "My Malacanang".Mr Gonzalez, after reading a synopsis of his book, should have thought of running himself.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »
I'm so glad to see you back, Hill, and delighted to see that you have lots to tell us since the last time you were active in the Forum. I didn't really mean to tell you off when I wondered if you had gone away to learn Urdu or Polynesian--it was pure lambing, if you still remember what that Tagalog term means. At any rate, I'm truly delighted to hear that distinctive, truly refreshing trademark rant of yours against crassly partisan sectors in the domestic media and against prickly, hypersensitive politicians-to-be wherever they may be holed in right now, gestating or hibernating or whatnot. I really hope to hear more of the same from you in the run-up to the Philippine national elections on May 10. If our votes don't change a thing in the political landscape, our collective indignation just might do the job. Cheers!  ;)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
Good morning, Joe,
Thank you for the warm welcome, and, yes,I still remember that "lambing "is a "term of endearment" and I of course am thrilled to be welcomed by the most distinguished of my friends. The PDI slogan, "Boto Mo Ipatrol Mo", which I failed to expound yesterday, and how I really feel about PDI's shameless endorsement--- a double-edged word since the country knows the PDI's presidential candidatesal already. I also will not use that word "presidentiable" for the simple reason that the majority of these journalists in the Philippines have invented this ghastly word themselves. I have no wish to be a part of their two-faced idealism: anything that suits them is fine; if it goes the other way, you'd find their claws running down your spine.
"Boto Mo Ipatrol Mo"---for our international friends, means "Monitor/Patrol your vote(s) is a misnomer in itself since they are, in effect, telling everyone to vote for their favourite candidates, the candidates they prefer to sit at Malacanang. This is downright disdainful and sensible journalists must be told to stop the nonsense that they have created. As I said, 95% of Philippine journalists have now become difficult to decipher. For what it's worth, they also have a tendency to write what the readers would  want to enjoy reading , and not in the self-belief that they believe what they write. The path that these supposedly caretakers and guardians of the country is now the common path associated with the common hatred unsuitable to the needs of what they originally clamoured for in the past. Any attempts by these journalists to change people's mind become defaced. Sadly, many are still beholden to what they write, believing that anything they write is factual and there's no need to convince readers otherwise. :)

magnus_alina

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »
I agree with you that many sectors of Philippine media are now dangerously politicized. You look around you and see and hear them shamelessly rooting--sometimes actually singing in chorus on TV with torches and all that jazz--for this or that candidate for a national post. On the whole, media people can no longer be expected to be objective and impartial in reporting the news or in dissecting public issues. Whether they like it or not, they have now become the attack dogs and command vote of the publishers and media owners. This looks like the dictatorship of the media to me, and I really wonder how Philippine democracy can get out of this rut.