Author Topic: McDonald’s new ad in UK skewered for inaccurate English usage  (Read 11711 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
McDonald’s new ad in UK skewered for inaccurate English usage
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
This McDonald’s ad for its Pound Saver Menu has been skewered in the United Kingdom for its inaccurate use of the English language:

According to a report in Sky News Online yesterday (January 24), the ad’s opening statement, “the pound, also known as a bob,” isn’t true, strictly speaking. In the UK, its critics argue, a “bob” is a term for a shilling or five pence, which is of far less value than a pound.

Marie Clair, spokeswoman of the London-based Plain English Campaign, gave this comment to Sky News Online: “It just doesn't work for me, a bob certainly isn’t anything like a pound.”

In defense of the ad’s language, a McDonald’s spokesman said: “Although a ‘bob’ was formerly used as a slang term for the shilling until the introduction of decimalisation in 1971, research has shown it is now more commonly used as slang for a pound or money in general.”

Read the full story in Sky News Online now!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:09:07 PM by Joe Carillo »

madgirl09

• View Profile
Re: McDonald’s new ad in UK skewered for inaccurate English usage
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:13:49 PM »
If the "bob" is less in value, then the expression " Great value for around a pound" in the ad is correct. "Around" doesn't mean exactly the said amount. "Around a  pound" also has a rhyme, which is a good nmemonic line. The English always change the way they say "money". No one uses pound or pounds so much in everyday life anymore. Go to the market and you hear "20 p", "50 p"....when the coin is just a one-syllable word, still they are lazy  :P to produce the complete sound.  ;D

santapodfan

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Sash window repairs London
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »
I still haven't forgiven McDonalds for coining the phrase "I'm lovin' it"....yuk!

jpri

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • RI Computer Repair
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:31:46 AM »
Speaking of ads with improper grammar usage... I saw a TV commercial for Chuck-e-cheese here the USA, (for those of you unfamiliar with this business, it's a place where young children can go to to play games and have parties) and they keep saying "cheese is funner" throughout the commercial. It sickens me that anyone would purposely speak like this to our children and further damage their language skills.
Living in Rhode Island. Working as a computer repair technician and trying to perfect my English at the same time.

Y

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
Yes, well, I'm fortunate to have missed the ad, but the ESTABLISHMENT gives me the creeps whenever I see it.  Period.

And their in-store birthday promo videos!  UGGHHHH!!!

The arcade and their prizes are nice, their food is all right, and they're clean, but their advertisement and presentation are simply TERRIBLE.