Author Topic: The role of the bracket in the English system of punctuation  (Read 19518 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The role of the bracket in the English system of punctuation
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »
Posted in my personal message box by forces20, Forum member (February 2, 2013):

Hello, Sir Carillo!

Do we have any topic in this forum discussing the use of punctuation bracket? I cannot find one.

Thank you.

My reply to forces20:

Yes, there’s a detailed discussion in the Forum on the usage of the bracket. It’s part of my series of three postings in September-October 2010 presenting a unified approach to the use of punctuation in English. For a comprehensive understanding of the place and function of the bracket in the English system of punctuation, I suggest that you read all three parts of the series, as follows:

1. “The parenthesis and its uses: parenthesis by comma” (September 17, 2010)

2. “The parenthesis and its uses: the appositive phrase” (September 24, 2010)

3. “The parenthesis and its uses: parenthesis by dashes and parenthesis by parentheses” (October 1, 2010)

And to round off the discussion on punctuation, I recommend that you also read “A grammar conversation on parenthetical usage” to get a better feel of punctuation in actual practice (September 7, 2010).

When you’re done, I’m sure that you’d have already acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions.

Justine A.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The role of the bracket in the English system of punctuation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
I am confident that I will learn a lot out of these articles. Thank you very much sir!

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »

"When you’re done, I’m sure that you’d have already acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions."

Sir, no native speaker of English would use such a sentence.   The "already" is entirely superfluous, and the non-conditional "you'd" should be "you'll".

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
Please explain why you think that in my sentence, the adverb “already” is entirely superfluous and why the nonconditional “you’d” should be “you’ll” instead. I’ll be glad to stand corrected and I’m sure Forum members will be enlightened as well.

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Sir. the primary meaning of "already" is "prior to a specified or implied past, present or future tense".   Inasmuch as you have already mentioned a time - "when" - "already" is not only superfluous but nonsensical.   Similarly for "already's" secondary meaning of "by this time".

Since you agree that the sentence is non-conditional, we are speaking of, simply, the ability to do something - in this case "acquire".    From your own recent explanations of "should" an "will", "will" is the appropriate word.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
Thank you for explaining your grammatical analysis of this sentence in my posting: “When you’re done, I’m sure that you’d have already acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions.” I can appreciate your doubts about its grammatical correctness. It’s admittedly a sentence that doesn’t yield to simple, cut-and-dried analysis considering its informal, conversational structure.

In its normal form, of course, that sentence should read as follows: “I’m sure that when you’re done, you’d have already acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions.” In this form, we have a sentence that consists of the following components:

1. The main clause: “I’m sure”
2. The subordinate clause: “that when you’re done, you’d have already acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions.”

When viewed from the total framework of a complex sentence, I frankly can’t see any grammatical flaw in that construction. The clause introduced by “that” is neither a conditional clause nor a future perfect clause but a declarative sentence, so it’s use of the auxiliary verb “would” as the past tense of “will” looks perfectly grammatical to me. The use of “already” in the sense of “by that time” isn’t superfluous at all in that construction; in fact, the absence of “already” would make that clause—it can be taken as a sentence in its own right, by the way—grammatically suspect if not downright defective. Take a look: “When you’re done, you’d have acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions.” Without the adverb “already,” the sentence gives the misleading sense that the acquisition of “a clear systems view of punctuation in English” was instantaneous rather than as a result of an extended process that was completed after some time was expended on it. 

You think that being nonconditional, that sentence should be using “you’ll” (the contracted “you will”) instead of “you’d” (the contracted “you would”). I don’t think so. There are two distinct situations, of course, in which “will” instead of “would” will be grammatically valid in that construction. They are as follows:

1. When the sentence or clause is in the future perfect tense. In this tense, the action will have been completed—finished or “perfected”—at some point in the future. The form of this tense is as follows: subject + “will have”/“shall have” + past participle.” Sentences in this tense are, of course, commonly introduced by such expressions as “by,” “by the time,” “before,” and “until,” as in this reconstruction of that clause (shown here as a sentence simply for clarity’s sake): “By the time you’re done, you’ll have already acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions.” Note that my original sentence is introduced by “when” and not by any of the time markers for the future perfect tense. Also, I don’t see any grammatical impediment to the usage of “already” in that future-perfect sentence. (Click this link to EnglishTenses.com for a discussion of the future perfect tense.)

2. When the sentence is in the first conditional (real possibility) form. Recall that in a first conditional sentence, an “if” clause states the condition in the present simple tense, is followed by a comma, then followed by the result clause in the form “will + base form of the verb.” If we put the clause in question in the first conditional, it would take this form: “If you’re done, you’ll have already acquired a clear systems view of punctuation in English and can put it to good use in your expositions.” I’m inclined to believe that the first conditional is what you had in mind when you said that my sentence should have used “you’ll” instead of “you’d.” (Click this link to a previous posting in the Forum on “The four types of conditional sentences.”) However, in the absence of an “if”-clause, my original sentence isn’t a first conditional sentence to begin with.

Based on the foregoing discussion, I’m afraid that your analysis of the usage of “already” and your criterion for the usage of “will” vs. “would,” while grammatically valid in themselves, don’t constitute a relevant and valid justification for your assertion that my sentence erroneously uses the adverb “already” and misuses “you’d” in place of “you’ll.”
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:20:51 PM by Joe Carillo »

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
Sir,   you can offer all the grammar "rules" you wish, but the fact remains:  a native English speaker would be struck dead for speaking or writing in the manner you propose.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
All the worse then for the native English speaker, kat. Here in the Forum, I recommend not colloquialisms or dialects but correct, proper English usage. I find this more useful and instructive to nonnative learners of the English language. Native English speakers, as in the case of many native speakers of particular languages, often have only a cursory respect for grammar and usage rules, taking liberties with them for the sake of simplicity or ease of articulation. I say this not to blame them, though. It's just that this is how spoken forms of a language evolve.

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
Kat, who are you referring to when you say, "a native English speaker"--are you referring to the British in general? Or the Americans or Australians/New Zealanders? If you can specify that "all native English speakers" speak the same grammatical way, then you are sadly mistaken. However much you say, "native English speaker", these people don't speak standard English in the real sense of the word--grammar included.

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
Surely you mean "whom"...?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
Two things, kat:

First, I think that as a matter of courtesy in this Forum, you owe hill roberts answers to her questions, not try to deflect the issue with your snide question casting doubt on the correctness of her usage of the relative pronoun “who.”

Second, I think you also owe not only hill roberts but all other Forum members an explanation why you think “whom” and not “who” is the correct usage in that posting of hill roberts.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:46:39 AM by Joe Carillo »

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
Kat seems to be arguing for the sake of arguing. And as a nonnative English learner holding high opinion of the Forum, I don't assume this is the right venue for that.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »
ON THE DISPUTED USAGE OF “WHO” AND “WHOM”

I agree with Mwita Chacha’s sentiment that this Forum shouldn’t be allowed to become a venue for arguing for the sake of arguing.

At any rate, in what seems to me like thwarted and deflated hubris, Kat is unable to respond to Hill Roberts’s and Mwita Chacha’s comments about his or her snide posting. Indeed, in contrast to his or her viciously quick stab at Hill’s usage of the pronoun “who,” Kat is now strangely taking such a long time to justify his or her derisive insinuation that Hill’s usage is grammatically wrong. Unfortunately, Hill herself seems unavailable at the moment to post a rejoinder, so some Forum members might get the impression that Hill has found her usage of “who” faulty and indefensible. I am therefore taking the liberty of clarifying the “who vs. whom” usage by simply posting the usage notes of two leading English grammar authorities from both sides of the Atlantic. This is for the benefit of Forum members who’d rather get the usage right without fuss than to be needlessly dragged by a vicious flamer into debating it ad nauseam.

Here are the usage notes:

OxfordDictionaries.com (For British English):

“Who” or “whom”?

There’s a continuing debate in English usage about when you should use “who” and when to use “whom.” According to the rules of formal grammar, “who” should be used in the subject position in a sentence, while “whom” should be used in the object position, and also after a preposition. For example:

Who made this decision? [here, “who” is the subject of the sentence]
Whom do you think we should support? [here, “whom” is the object of support]
To whom do you wish to speak? [here, “whom” is following the preposition to]

Some people do still follow these rules but there are many more who never use “whom” at all. The normal practice in current English is to use “who” in all contexts, i.e.:

Who do you think we should support?
Who do you wish to speak to?

From Oxford Dictionaries: “Who or whom?”

American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (For American English):

Usage Note: The traditional rules for choosing between who and whom are relatively simple but not always easy to apply. Who is used where a nominative pronoun such as I or he would be appropriate, that is, for the subject of a verb or for a predicate nominative; whom is used for a direct or indirect object or for the object of a preposition. Thus, we write the actor who played Hamlet was there, since who is the subject of played; and Whom do you like best? because whom is the object of the verb like; and To whom did you give the letter? because whom is the object of the preposition to. • It is more difficult, however, to apply these rules in complicated sentences, particularly when who or whom is separated from the verb or preposition that determines its form. Intervening words may make it difficult to see that Who do you think is the best candidate? requires who as the subject of the verb is (not whom as the object of think) and The man whom the papers criticized did not show up requires whom as the object of the verb criticized (not who as the subject of showed up). Highly complex sentences such as I met the man whom the government had tried to get France to extradite require careful analysis—in this case, to determine that whom should be chosen as the object of the verb extradite, several clauses away. It is thus not surprising that writers from Shakespeare onward have often interchanged who and whom. Nevertheless, the distinction remains a hallmark of formal style. • In speech and informal writing, however, considerations other than strict grammatical correctness often come into play. Who may sound more natural than whom in a sentence such as Who did John say he was going to support? —though it is incorrect according to the traditional rules. In general, who tends to predominate over whom in informal contexts. Whom may sound stuffy even when correctly used, and when used where who would be correct, as in Whom shall I say is calling? whom may betray grammatical ignorance. • Similarly, though traditionalists will insist on whom when the relative pronoun is the object of a preposition that ends a sentence, grammarians since Noah Webster have argued that the excessive formality of whom is at odds with the relative informality associated with this construction; thus they contend that a sentence such as Who did you give it to? should be regarded as entirely acceptable. • Some grammarians have argued that only who and not that should be used to introduce a restrictive relative clause that identifies a person. This restriction has no basis either in logic or in the usage of the best writers; it is entirely acceptable to write either the woman that wanted to talk to you or the woman who wanted to talk to you. • The grammatical rules governing the use of who and whom in formal writing apply equally to whoever and whomever and are similarly often ignored in speech and informal writing.

From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language: “Who”

For those who remain doubting Thomases even after studying these usage notes, I would suggest visiting the following sites for many interesting opinions and examples about the “who vs. who” usage:

1. About.com Guide by Richard Nordquist
2. "Grammar: Whom do you trust?" in The Economist, April 5, 2012

I hope this settles the matter of “who vs. whom” at least in this Forum once and for all.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:04:12 AM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »
NOTICE BANNING AN UNDESIRABLE FORUM MEMBER:
To spare Forum members from being viciously flamed any further by a notorious recidivist Australian troublemaker who had been repeatedly banned from this Forum during the past three years for destructive behavior in the discussion boards, the Forum administrator has decided to ban a new Forum member who goes by the username "Kat." This "Kat" has been determined from the Forum records to have variously assumed the usernames "MaxSims," "Alek," "vans26," and several others (sometimes acting in concert and willfully assuming different genders) to make postings vilifying, intimidating, and terrorizing Forum members. This ban has been instituted in response to feedback from Forum members, made either in the discussion boards or sent by e-mail, complaining about Kat's abusive behavior. Three of the latest postings of Kat have been deleted from the discussion boards for their insidiousness.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:35:32 AM by Joe Carillo »

Melvin

• "I came. I learn. I share"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
If kat were my student, I would certainly be happy because of her courage to ask. Unfortunately, if her real motive could only bring insult to those who have the in-depth knowledge of English, then  she must be somewhere else.
What I learned from this is to read more not to boast but to be of help to those who like to learn. Being discorteous and prideful could only make learning unenjoyable process.