Author Topic: A polite way to tell restaurant patrons not to ask for doggie bags  (Read 6346 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
From Jonathan Valdez in the United States (January 7, 2010):

Bamboo Bistro in West Covina, California, has signage posted on its walls that reads: “Please avoid leftovers.” Obviously the intended meaning, is “Pakiusap Iwasan Ang Pagtitira Ng Pagkain.”

I think the management wants its patrons not to waste food, but isn’t the use of “leftovers” improper in this context? It’s a pity my cell phone doesn’t have a camera.

My reply to Jonathan:

I think the language in “Please avoid leftovers” is a little loose, but at least it’s a polite alternative to “Please finish all the food you ordered” or “Please eat all of the food you ordered.” (For indeed, how can you possibly do that if the food is badly cooked or not to your liking?) In the Philippines, an often-used variant in restaurants that offer eat-all-you-can meals is “No leftovers allowed”—the implication being that the diner can’t ask for a doggie bag for food he or she had put on the plate but was unable to finish. (As you can imagine, allowing leftovers to be taken home under that offer could bankrupt the restaurant before long!)

Anyway, just to put things in proper perspective, leftover in the context of food is defined as “something that remains unused or unconsumed...especially leftover food served at a later meal.” So maybe—just a big maybe—that restaurant in West Covina is indirectly and ever politely telling its patrons to refrain from asking for doggie bags to take their leftover food home.

Gazelle

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A polite way to tell restaurant patrons not to ask for doggie bags
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
I don't actually see the point why they won't allow doggie bags as you've said they are not "eat-all-you-can". I would like to believe that they the message is as simple as it means "avoid waste, eat the food on your plate". I think it is as simple as that, no need to give double meaning or to elaborate further. True Refrigeration
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:46:07 PM by Gazelle »