Author Topic: Read more than once..!  (Read 14187 times)

maxsims

• View Profile
Read more than once..!
« on: December 26, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »
"...Man shot dead by police

Police resorted to their firearms after other methods failed to calm an irate man who died after being shot by police..."

This is an online headline and into produced by a major Australian news network.    Talk about initially confusing!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Read more than once..!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »
It's not only initially confusing--it's total bedlam grammatically, structurally, and semantically! This is the kind of writing in English--whether in Australia, the Philippines, or some other country--that we should be ruthlessly waging war against. And I'd be one with you in pursuing a policy of taking no prisoners!

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »
"...Reporters shouldn’t think of
volcanoes  as holiday revelers
even for a second!..."

Hmmm.....

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
So how would you like it said, maxsims:

(1) "Reporters shouldn’t think even for a second of volcanoes as holiday revelers!"
(2) "Reporters shouldn’t think of volcanoes even for a second as holiday revelers!"
(3) "Even for a second, reporters shouldn’t think of volcanoes as holiday revelers!"
(4) "Reporters, even for a second, shouldn’t think of volcanoes as holiday revelers!"
(5) "Reporters shouldn’t think of volcanoes--even for a second--as holiday revelers!"
(6) "Reporters shouldn’t think of volcanoes, even for a second, as holiday revelers!"
(7) "Reporters shouldn’t think of volcanoes as holiday revelers--even for a second!"

Take your pick, keeping in mind that you're a caption writer--not a consummate grammarian!  :D

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »
Joe Carillo,

I realize that a couple of your local reporters have ascribed human characteristics to Mount Mayon, but to compound their over-enthusiastic descriptions by calling the mountain a reveller is somewhat grating.

At first, I though you'd made a spelling boo-boo,and that you'd meant "resort", in which case the sentence makes sense to the "cold" reader, even if it's not what you meant.

Purists will then argue that "even for a second" should follow its operative verb "think" lest people think that some holiday resorts exist for only a second.   I am not such a purist, but I think a comma after "revelers" would provide the necessary distinction.

If you twisted my arm, I would plump for No.6.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
When a newspaper describes a volcano as extending the courtesy of "natural loud bangs and fireworks display" to the locals on New Year's eve, isn't the volcano being made to appear as a holiday reveler like them? What kind of personified being would consort with the locals in such explosive merrymaking except a fellow reveler? That's precisely the figurative language and imagery that I am objecting to because, as you yourself say, it's "somewhat grating." It's also seriously unjournalistic. At any rate, maxsims, I'm still in the dark as to how you came to think of "reveler" as a resort, assuming that it was indeed a spelling boo-boo. Please enlighten me.  ::)

I did think that you'd root--not "plump"--for No. 6 even if I didn't twist your arm. This is because I know you have such a deep trust and affection for the comma as a default clarifier for any actual or imagined ambiguity in English prose. But, you may ask, why not "plump"? I knew you were using it as an intransitive verb that means "to favor or decide in favor of someone or something strongly or emphatically," but the immediate imagery it brought to mind was a big, fat person, so I thought that you had made a spelling boo-boo yourself for the word "pump."  :D     

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »
"...At any rate, maxsims, I'm still in the dark as to how you came to think of "reveler" as a resort, assuming that it was indeed a spelling boo-boo. Please enlighten me..."

My point was, and is, that if you replace the word "reveler" (your spelling) with "resort", the sentence makes sense to the reader who is not up to date with what has been written beforehand.

"...I knew you were using it as an intransitive verb that means "to favor or decide in favor of someone or something strongly or emphatically," but the immediate imagery it brought to mind was a big, fat person, so I thought that you had made a spelling boo-boo yourself for the word "pump."..." 

Me make a spelling mistake?   Perish the thought!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »
Me misspelling "reveler" as "resort"? As a wrong word choice perhaps, but as wrong spelling is a mighty stretch!  :)

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:32 AM »
I meant your spelling of "reveller" as "reveler".     

How do you spell "leveller"?   

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »
Here are my Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary entries for the two words in question:

Main entry: reveler
Variant:or  reveller 
Function: noun
Date: 14th century

: one who engages in revelry

Main Entry: leveler
Variant:or  leveller   
Function: noun
Date: 1598

1 : one that levels
2 a capitalized   : one of a group of radicals arising during the English Civil War and advocating equality before the law and religious toleration  b : one favoring the removal of political, social, or economic inequalities  c : something that tends to reduce or eliminate differences among individuals

I hope this settles the spelling issue.  ::)

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
Nah.....my dictionary has the main and variation the other way around!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
How American, British English Differ
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
Nah.....my dictionary has the main and variation the other way around!

I acknowledge the variation, maxsims, but you have just tempted me to explain it by resuscitating an essay that I wrote for my column in The Manila Times way back in January 27, 2003. With your indulgence, here it goes:

How American English differs from British English

On more than just a few occasions, I had been asked by friends and readers how American English and British English differ. I would be hesitant to answer because like most everybody else, all I really knew at the time was that British books and magazines routinely spelled English words ending in “-or” with “-our” instead, as in “honor” to “honour,” and those that ended in “–er” with “-re,” as in “center” to “centre.”

When I looked more closely into their differences, however, I found out that American English and British English vary in much more profound ways than spelling,  word endings, and pronunciation. They still share a common linguistic system and a basic set of words, of course, but their differences had grown so vast that as early as 1887, the English playwright Oscar Wilde wryly observed: “We have everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language.” Today, over 120 years later, the variation has become much wider, prompting a language critic to make this irreverent remark on the Internet: “The English spoken in places like London, Manchester, and Liverpool is 98% identical to that spoken in New York, Los Angeles, and Dallas. Only [a] 2% difference ...the same difference in the genes of the chimpanzee and the human!”*

This great divide between American English and British English was no doubt created by the power of mass migrations, of the printed word, and of the mass media to transmute language, but I believe that it was pushed irreversibly by the indomitable will of one man. That man was the largely self-taught American lexicographer Noah Webster. Unable to pursue law studies after graduating from Yale College in 1778, he decided to work as a teacher. He was appalled by the dearth of teaching materials in American schools, where as many as 70 pupils of all ages would be jammed into one-room affairs, taught by untrained teachers, using badly written books. He thus wrote A Grammatical Institute of the English Language, a textbook on English reading, spelling, and pronunciation that was to become the most popular book of its time.

Webster, believing that Americans should all speak in the same way and not just imitate the British, later decided to write the first American dictionary. His most audacious innovation was simplifying British spelling. He saw no logical reason for using the letter “u” in such English words as “colour” and “labour,” nor for the “k” in such words as “musick” and “traffick,” so he knocked it off in all of them. He did away with the “-que” in words like “cheque” and “masque,” replacing it with “–ck,” and transposed the “–re” word endings to “–er” in words like “theatre” and “centre.” He also freely added new American words into his dictionary, like “skunk” and “squash.” When he finished An American Dictionary of the English Language in 1828, after 27 years of work, it contained 70,000 words and their meanings—superior in quality and scope to the other English dictionaries of the time.

Even without Webster’s linguistic efforts, of course, American English and British English differ in vocabulary in many bewildering ways. As an outstanding example, “corn” in British English is all kinds of cereal before and after harvesting, but in American English it is “maize” (“grain” is the word it uses for all cereals). Here are just a few more Americanisms versus British English: “elevator” for “lift,” “trash” for “rubbish,” “faucet” for “tap,” “sidewalk” for “pavement,” and “chips” for “crisps.”

American English and British English also have striking grammar variations that could confuse nonnative English learners. They treat in an exactly opposite way grammatically singular nouns that are plural in sense. In American English, group words such as “company” and “team” are viewed as single entities, so they carry the singular verb form “is,” as in “the company is...”; in British English, however, they are viewed as consisting of more than one person, so are considered plural, as in “the company are...” Another marked difference is in their use of prepositions: “Londoners live in a street and stay in farm cottages at weekends,” but “New Yorkers and English-speaking Manilans live on a street and stay in farm cottages on weekends.”

You all know the rest of the story, of course. American English eventually got the upper hand over British English when the United States not only became a major racial melting pot and economic and military power but also the world’s most powerful cultural center. Through the Americans’ deft use of the language in their literature, movies, and print and broadcast media, American English is today the English of choice of those who must use it to communicate with the rest of the world.

----
*"Only [a] 2% difference ...the same difference in the genes of the chimpanzee and the human!” I'm really not sure whose genes the commentator meant to correspond to those of the chimpanzee and to those of the human, but I think it's better left at that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:12:41 PM by Joe Carillo »

mian iqbal

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Toronto airport limo
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
Thanks for information

pervez khan

• Initiate
    • View Profile