Author Topic: A world of a great many pocket universes and life forms  (Read 6269 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
A world of a great many pocket universes and life forms
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »
Is there life beyond the universe that we know?

Two physicists, Alejandro Jenkins from Costa Rica and Gilad Perez from Israel, postulate that multiple other universes—each with its own laws of physics—may have emerged from the same primordial vacuum that gave rise to ours. In an article for the January 2010 issue of Scientific American magazine, they theorize that many of these universes may contain intricate structures and perhaps even some forms of life. And they suggest that the universe we know may not be as “finely tuned” for the emergence of life as had been previously thought.

ARTWORK FROM SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

Based on modern cosmology theory, Jenkins and Perez say, “Our universe would be but one of many pocket universes within a wider expanse called the multiverse. In the overwhelming majority of those universes, the laws of physics might not allow the formation of matter as we know it or of galaxies, stars, planets and life…Our recent studies, however, suggest that some of these other universes—assuming they exist—may not be so inhospitable after all. Remarkably, we have found examples of alternative values of the fundamental constants, and thus of alternative sets of physical laws, that might still lead to very interesting worlds and perhaps to life.”

Read the pdf file of “Looking for Life in the Multiverse” by Alejandro Jenkins and Gilad Perez now!

ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Alejandro Jenkins, a native of Costa Rica, is in the High Energy Physics group at Florida State University. He has degrees from Harvard University and the California Institute of Technology, and he investigated alternative universes while at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with Bob Jaffe and Itamar Kimchi. Gilad Perez is a theorist at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, where he received his PhD in 2003. While at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, he explored the multiverse with Roni Harnik of Stanford University and Graham D. Kribs of the University of Oregon. He has also done stints at Stony Brook University, Boston University and Harvard.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:10:48 PM by Joe Carillo »

madgirl09

• View Profile
Re: A world of a great many pocket universes and life forms
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:03:27 PM »
Amazing! This is what I'd like to read and write more. Even the Vatican is now open to studies on other lives in the universe. Would this alter our notion and beliefs/ theories on creation in the future? For the time being, sci-fi paperbacks are the only materials that can satisfy our curiousity about the possibilities of other entities thriving in the universe. If I have time, I would write similar short stories to Isaac Asimov's novels  ::). Unfortunately, there are available online studies on fiction writing but they are really far from affordable  :'(. Any fiction writer out there?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »
When formal fiction-writing studies are to no avail, madgirl09, just use science and logic, a healthy skepticism toward received but unprovable knowledge, and a lot of imagination. Then good science fiction might just gush forth from that writer's brain of yours!

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
Oh yes, thank you, Sir. That's definitely the best solution so far- rely on science and logic, distort them a bit, then you have fiction. I had some bits of history research which did not yield a lot of benefits (well, not really  ;D ), and I want to use it for other genres. All I need is "time" (ahhhh!).

Question 1: What can you say about a fiction novel that talks about history-science-theology-cosmic matters?

Question 2: Do we need a "Masters degree" attached to our name when we publish a book? It seems it would need more tears and sweat before I could graduate from Masters. :'(

madgirl-turning-angel-for-the-sake-of-xmas

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
On Question #1:
That type of fiction is my cup of tea; it provides reading pleasure and vicarious experience even as it profusely adds to one’s fund of knowledge. In fact, for the past two months or so now, every time I get the rare chance to curl down to read a printed book, I’ve been reading in turns two terrific history-science-theology-cosmic fiction novels by Iain Pears: An Instance of the Fingerpost and The Dream of Scipio.

The first, An Instance of the Fingerpost, is about momentous events in England in the year 1663 as told in parallel accounts by a gentleman-unlicensed medical practitioner from Venice; a disenfranchised landowner’s son who has turned murderer; a philosopher who served as chief cryptographer during the time of Oliver Cromwell as Lord Protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland; and a historian and gossip who makes a critique and summing up of the tangled, widely differing accounts of the same set of events by the first three narrators. Here you’ll find a fascinating but terrifying fictional account of how the blood transfusion process was developed by trial and error (the concept of blood type was unknown then, so the experimental transfusions would be done between animal and human, and between humans with just any other human, with all their horrible consequences to the human body!); of how Robert Boyle, one of the founders of modern chemistry, came to be solely credited as the formulator of Boyle’s Law (“The volume of a gas varies inversely to the pressure of the gas”); and of how some of these characters disparagingly viewed the work of Isaac Newton, who at the time was still in the long, tedious process of formulating and validating the physical laws that were to become Newton’s Laws of Motion and Gravitation. The story has so many more intriguing disquisitions about religion, mathematics, astrology, and astronomy; about the deadly strife between the Anglicans and the Papists over essentially the same Christian belief; and about art and ancient history—but I will stop this précis now so as not to preempt your enjoyment of this highly exciting but—I warn you—protracted reading. (As of this moment, I’m still in the midst of the account by the third narrator, so I still don’t know what truths will eventually emerge from the tangled stories.)

The second novel, The Dream of Scipio, likewise consists of parallel accounts, this time of the circumstances around a murder mystery that had its beginnings in Provence in France in the year 486 A.D. during the final days of the Roman Empire. Along the way, it tells of the impact on the story’s major characters of, among so many watersheds in European history, the scourge of the Black Death and of Pope Clement V’s decision to move the seat of the Roman Catholic Church to Avignon in France because of civil strife in Rome. I’ve just finished Part 1 of the three-part book but this early, I can tell you that the book is worth curling up to if you can find time to spare.

On Question #2:
Do you need a Master’s degree attached to your name when you publish a book? If the book is about a professional discipline like philosophy, psychology, education, and management, definitely yes, for it announces to prospective readers that you’ve gone through all the toil and tears and sweat to get a really good grounding on the subject you are talking about. They would then be more inclined to listen to you and to believe in what you say. One happy consequence of this is, of course, that you can sell more copies of your book—assuming that it’s really a well-written, highly instructive work in the first place. Be forewarned, though, that books written by PhDs would likely join your book on the shelves before long. Thus, even assuming that your book is better-written and more instructive than theirs, a textbook or reference book written by a PhD can give your book a run for its money simply on the presumed superior authority of PhDs. This, of course, is why many people with Master’s degrees are eventually constrained to also get PhDs—their ability and talent notwithstanding, they want to remain competitive in the market for knowledge and ideas.

In contrast, a writer of history-science-theology-cosmic fiction in English need not depend so much on academic degrees. He or she needs only to be great storyteller with superb mastery of English—one with a great knack for aggregating and weaving fact and fancy into highly readable and riveting stories that would appeal to sizable reading audiences. In this case, I might add that attaching a Master’s or PhD to the author’s name would be a mistake—it could even spell disaster for the sales of the book. For indeed, all things being equal, people want to read fiction stories by authors who can create the illusion of having lived through the intrigue and dirt and grime of the tales they are purveying, not cut-and-dried and sterile stories by PhDs comfortably ensconced in their academic ivory towers. (And based on what I’ve read so far of his two books, I can tell you that Iain Pears belongs to the former category, so I suggest you read him if you want to successfully replicate what he’s doing in the genre.)