Author Topic: It's time everyone flies  (Read 8560 times)

P. Saurel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
It's time everyone flies
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
Cebu Pacific's slogan. Isn't this erroneous grammar? Of course, if one would say "It's time everyone flew", that does not encourage much air travel, in these times of AH1N1.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: It's time everyone flies
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:21:59 PM »
Advertising agencies often take liberties with language, of course, so the grammatically flawed construction "It's time everyone flies" probably could be excused for its violation, like the classic cigarette slogan "Tastes good like a cigarette should" (which, formally, should be "Tastes good as a cigarette should). You see, in business, you couldn't argue with success. But you're right; the formally correct construction for that airline slogan is "It's time everyone flew," as in "It's time everyone kissed" instead of "It's time everyone kisses." The excruciatingly correct form for that sentence is, in fact, the complex sentence "It's time that everyone kissed." In this case, however, the conjunction "that" was dropped (ellipted) for easier articulation. I agree with you, though, that "It's time everyone flew" doesn't sound upbeat enough for an advertising pitch, whether or not the times are fraught with the AH1N1 scare.

Other than "It's time everyone flew," what are the other possible grammatically correct constructions of that sentence? Here they are:  "It's time for everyone to fly." "It's time to fly." "It's time for everyone to be flying." Are they OK as ad slogans? The first probably, the second middling, and the last a big no-no because, frankly, it creates in my mind images of winged people flying!

So, if you ask me what should be done under the circumstances, I think it's time for those concerned to consider rethinking that slogan for both correct grammar and communication effectiveness.

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »
Still on "slogan">>
The biggest retail shop in the world, Tesco, has this slogan:
"Every little helps" >>>1. What helps? Here is the curious absence of a "thing", yet this slogan has been going on for several years and no one has even bothered to question it. Over to you, Forum members!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »
Of course, that slogan should read "Every little bit helps," which is really an old maxim, but the subject "bit" was lost in the execution. Alternatively, it could also be "Every little help," where "help" is a noun and not a verb, but I doubt this because it would imply that Tesco sells only products of little usefulness.

Another thought: I have just checked Tesco UK's website and the company indeed proudly uses that slogan in loving script, so it couldn't be a simple typographical error. This makes me wonder why people in the land where English had originated have not insisted on Tesco management to rectify its bad grammar. Freedom of expression, advertising license, indifference, or all three?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:19:29 AM by Joe Carillo »

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »
I suspect this has something to do with quantifiers which could also serve as pronouns like many and much. Many help us. Much is said. Little was added. But why this pronoun/quantifier "little" was preceded by another determiner "every"...puzzles me. If used in a longer context and discourse, the use of "every little helps" could be grammatical in itself:

A: Donations for the typhoon victims...Do you have anything to share?
B: Hmn, just a little. Can't help much. I'm broke too.
A: Don't worry...Every little helps.  ::) ::) ::)

Notice that the meaning of "little" in the last sentence was slightly different from the second sentence usage. If the structures are like these, how do you call each of these "littles", Sir Joe?

Hihihi...fascinating grammar puzzles. ;D

reallyverymadmadgirl
I'll check another book tomorrow. ;D

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:29 AM »
Hello,
Glad you enjoyed discussing the Tesco slogan. Indeed, it has made everyone think twice about the Brits, hahaha!  Go to shops in Britain and you'll find the lack of apostrophe on notices like,
"Mens Room" and "Womens Room".(?)..Generally speaking, they really don't have a clue how to use
 the apostrophe properly. Incredible, right? "Developed" country all right...Where did the Philippines go wrong? Too much education and no cash in hand? Awwwww... ;D ;)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
Well, it seems I've been too harsh on the English for allowing Tesco to get away with the slogan "Every little helps" without even making a whimper. It turns out that the English had started using the word "little" as a noun before the 12th century to mean "a small amount, quantity, or degree" or "practically nothing," as in "little has changed." In this particular usage, "little" has not changed and I must concede that Tesco has an age-old linguistic tradition backing up its use of that word as a noun--at least within the British isles and the rest of the British Commonwealth.

For those keen on lexicography, here's my trusty digital Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary's entry for the word in question: 

little
Function: noun
Date :before 12th century

1 : a small amount, quantity, or degree;  also   : practically nothing  <little has changed>
2 a : a short time  b : a short distance
  –a little : SOMEWHAT, RATHER  <found the play a little dull>
  –in little : on a small scale;  especially   : in miniature

renzphotography

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »

Hi Hill,

All the while I thought the British use W.C. or "water closet" to refer to the toilet room? Do the Brits use the term "comfort room"?

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
Hi, Joe and Renz,
So glad we've gone deeper than expected with the Tesco Slogan...thanks for the information. At least now we know how it was in the past when English didn't have precise rules on grammar. Yes, Renz, W.C. for our "(dis)comfort rooms" in Pinas but they have moved on with new signs/notices and
Mens Room and Womens Room are more or less what they use in many shops around the UK. Here, Spanish shops  use the word "Aseos" but in restaurants they use "Servicios". In France, it's "Toilettes", which literally means, "washing and dressing". The countries which somehow get it right are Hungary and Czech Republic...You gentlemen must once again travel here! ;D ;)Bienvenidos!
P.S. And its' the word, "Servicios" that my British husband can pronounce correctly.