Author Topic: Can anyone translate this for me?  (Read 7670 times)

Arvin Ortiz

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Free Lancer
Can anyone translate this for me?
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
Encountered this passage when I was doing my professional readings:

"Behavior coaching refers to the individualized intervention designed for the adolescent with special needs (ASN) to enable him/her to acquire psychosocial-educational skills and competencies consistent with the normalization perspective."

Now, can anyone tell me what that passage means in plain and simple English?

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone translate this for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »
It means that when a kid does something wrong, he gets a clip over the ear!    :D

vinzvonvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »
Are you sure you really need someone to translate it for you? I think you're smart enough to comprehend.However, here's how I understand it:
If you're an adolescent with special needs( just like a special child), then you need behavior coaching.An expert in Special Education is the best person to help you behave like a normal person. :D

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
"Behavior coaching refers to the individualized intervention ...

Private counselling means helping one person,

designed for the adolescent with special needs (ASN)

particularly an adolescent with learning difficulties (ASN-like autism, dyslexia, attention deficit, etc)

to enable him/her to acquire psychosocial-educational skills
to help him gain mental, social, learning skills

and competencies consistent with the normalization perspective."
and other abilities needed to cope with normal learning situations.  :'(

not all students have the normal abilities (senses and intellect) to be able to learn concepts logically and with ease. they need special trainings that would intensify the functions of their basic senses (hearing, speaking, motor or writing skills, etc). many of these children are put in special classes as their learning progress is much slower than normal children's pace. they could, however, be grouped in normal classes occasionally to catch up with the level requirements. special education teachers and doctors also need specialized training to be able to correctly assess the needs of special children, and employ specific remedies to address their difficulties.

my two cents...madgirl09 ;D

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
Encountered this passage when I was doing my professional readings:

"Behavior coaching refers to the individualized intervention designed for the adolescent with special needs (ASN) to enable him/her to acquire psychosocial-educational skills and competencies consistent with the normalization perspective."

Now, can anyone tell me what that passage means in plain and simple English?

It looks like Arvin Ortiz has stirred the hornet’s nest with that question of his.

Anyway, I simply would like to add that Maxsims had very admirably and efficiently peeled off the layers of gobbledygook from that turgid health-care jargon, but in the process, I’m afraid that he had thrown away the baby with the bathwater. It’s the first time I’m encountering the term ASN myself, but based on my cursory research, behavior coaching turns out to mean more than just the punishment of naughty kids, and it’s not funny stuff either. :o

I found out that ASN or adolescents with special needs belong to a larger category of SNC or special needs children. They are children whose emotional or physical disorders, age, race, membership in a sibling group, history of abuse, or other factors contribute to a lengthy stay in foster care. Guidelines for classifying a child as special needs vary by country to country. According to the Kentucky Adoption Services website, “Common special needs conditions and diagnoses include: serious medical conditions; emotional and behavioral disorders; history of abuse or neglect; medical or genetic risk due to familial mental illness or parental substance abuse.”

A broader definition of SNC has been adopted by a roundtable of Canadian policymakers to ensure the full extension of rights to all children living in rural and Northern Canada. According to this definition, SNC “includes children and adolescents who require additional resources because of exceptional gifts and talents, physical, sensory, cognitive and learning challenges, mental health issues as well as problems due to social, cultural, linguistic or family factors.”

Another subset of SNC is SEN, or children with special educational needs (SEN). SEN are children who, as a result of a physical or psychologically based disability, are unable to achieve the goals of the national curriculum without receiving special provision. The assessment procedure for determining a SEB is carried out by the school district board upon the application of the parents, the head teacher of the school, or by the board itself with reference to expert opinions.

Based on these findings, I would like to offer this more sympathetic boiled down version of the original gobbledygooky statement as requested by Arvin Ortiz:

“Behavior coaching is the one-on-one teaching of adolescents with special needs (ASN) to help them achieve a normal life.”

By the way, Arvin Ortiz, I was able to trace that passage back to a feature story, “Behavior coaching for teens with special needs,” in the October 11, 2009 of the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Like you, thousands must have been semantically befuddled by all the technical gobbledygook that litters that story. How I wish the desk and section editors of that broadsheet would exercise their copyediting skills as efficiently as maxsims for their readers’ benefit—if with a little more circumspection and a little more compassion for the human condition perhaps! ;)   

Arvin Ortiz

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Free Lancer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
I like Maxsims's revision. But I agree with your observation, Sir Joe, that "in the process...he had thrown away the baby with the bathwater."

As for your revision, Sir Joe, it's much more agreeable. Thanks.

FYI: I read the article three times because, well, I just can't figure out what the author means. 

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »
"....but in the process, I’m afraid that he had thrown away the baby with the bathwater..."

...has thrown.....!

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
The eagle-eyed Max...Hi, how are you? Hmmh. you've been "quiet"---meaning,
we haven't interacted for a long while. I can assure you I still get up on the
right side of the bed, hahaha. ;D

I'm still waiting for you to post some "new words" invented or coined by Forum
members. I am serious about this, Max, unless you're too busy or just couldn't
be bothered. Perhaps, you're suffering from a form of "maxivity" or "maxivilous"
or "maxivititis"----wow, those are already three new words from me.
Examples:

1. There's too much "maxivity" of late discussing gobbledygook.

2. That guy thinks it's "maxivilous" to point out petty words to prove that
he's a wordsmith more than the rest.

3. Are you suffering  from "maxivititis"?
(Three more new words today, Joe.) ::) 8) ;D :-*

3.Jose is suffering from "maxvititis" but he couldn't help himself

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
I am in Joe's fair land right now, and I'm very busy.   When I learn to post photographs here, I'll show you at what!   But I'll keep an eye open for erring participles!

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 02:32:28 PM »
Hi, Max,
So good to hear from you.  :)
This is why I like the Forum---because of the banter. It would be rather
boring without it. Thank you! :) :-*