Author Topic: Beach Resort Poster  (Read 11344 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Beach Resort Poster
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »

The photo of the beach resort poster above was sent by Joselito B. sometime ago to Rocky Avila, a reader of my Manila Times English-usage column, with the following note:

“They say that the Philippines is the third largest English-speaking country in the world and there are two different kinds of English speaking Pinoys: The Good Englishizer and the Bad Englishizer. Oooooppppsss!  Is that a wrong mistake? Sorry. Enjoy reading just the same. Have a good day.”

Rocky then forwarded the material to me along with several other bad-English photos.

Any thoughts about it?

The Old Sarge

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beach Resort Poster
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »
 ;D  Actually, this is one of two things.  The first is obvious, an example of fractured English at it's worst.  The other, and more subtle, example is actually an effective way of getting people to read the rules.

Pau Garner
aka The Old Sarge
"Yield to temptation...it may not pass your way again." Lazarus Long,
 "Beware of Strong Drink, it makes you shoot at the Taxman...and miss" Lazerus Long
 "Enjoy life! Take big bites! Moderation is for monks." Lazerus Long
  Quis custodiet ipsos custodies -Who guards the guardians?

jtriggs

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »

That is so cute, hilarious and REAL.  However, it is also a very effective information campaign!  My first reaction would be to read it again, take a picture and share to friends for a good laugh.  Haha.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:54:02 AM »
(This reply from member Rosauro came in last May 2 but was inadvertently misposted to the Welcome page. I am reposting it here so it can clearly form part of the thread of the discussions. For clarity, I have set Rosauro's corrections or revisions in italics.--Joe Carillo)

May I correct what is written on this poster?

Safety the important things.   (Following are important safety rules for you to know; the management will not shoulder, if anything is lost.)

1. Throw all plastic (and) cellophane in the socks that (are) hung in (or ON either one is correct) the tree.
(Throw all empty plastic and cellophane bags in the socks that are hanging on the tree.)

2. Throw the biodegradable in the rubber garbage

3. Please don’t throw anywhere the bones, cadies, ice cream pop wrappers, waste of fruits, cigarette buts. Throw (them) in the garbage.

3. Don’t broke (break) the bottle (empty bottles), specially softdrinks (soft drinks), beer, and hard liquor. Once you (are) caught (the) penalty (is) P100.00.
(Don’t break empty bottles, specially soft drinks, beer, and hard liquor. Once you are caught the penalty is P100.00.)

4. Stay were (where) you are (in your) occupied cottage.
(Stay where you are in the cottage you occupy.)

5. Once you (are) caught when (being in another cottage) stay other cottage, you should pay another for that cottage.
(Once you are caught staying in another cottage, you shall pay additional fee.)

6. During early time. Please don’t stay or sit the other cottage. So that we can identified cottage that are available for other customers come in. (During early time, please don’t stay or sit in other cottages unless you are visiting friends so in this way we can identify which cottage is available for other customers.)

Be discipline ourselves. This rules should be follow.
(Be disciplined by following these rules.)