Author Topic: When do we use FOOD and FOODS?  (Read 20320 times)

english editor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
When do we use FOOD and FOODS?
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
Dear Sir:

May I please be enlightened as to the correct usage of the words FOOD and FOODS? I know that "food" can be a countable or an uncountable noun, depending on the usage. However, confusion sets in when I encounter the word "foods." Please see examples below taken from the manuscript I am currently working on:

1. That is why you need to know healthful food from unhealthful food. (Does "food" here mean a certain group of food," meaning, say, fruits and vegetables that are good for the health?

2. Healthful foods that come from animal sources help you grow. (If the premise above is correct, how come "foods" was used here?)

Can you please tell me the reason for the discrepancies in the sentences above. They appear on the SAME

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When do we use FOOD and FOODS?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
In the first sentence you presented, the word “food” is used as a mass noun denoting forms of nutriment in solid form. So yes, you’re correct when you say that “food” here means a certain class or group of food (often to the exclusion of liquid food, which is called a “drink”), but the term could also be taken to denote all food in a generic sense, in which case it is considered a noncount noun. Such is the case in the sentence “Food is essential to life.” (We don’t say “Foods are essential to life.”)

In the second sentence you presented, however, the plural form “foods” in the term “healthful foods” is used in the sense of particular kinds of food—in this case from animal sources—such as milk, cheese, yoghourt, and meat. Here, of course, “foods” is a countable noun, and in my own encounters with the term, it is often used in the sense of processed or manufactured foods as opposed to natural produce such as specific fruits and other agricultural crops—like, say, apples, pears, and oranges as well as corn, beet, and yam. Unprocessed food of this kind is normally classified as “natural food” in the sense of a singular noncount noun.

samenatina1

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yourdentistorlando.com/
    • Email
Re: When do we use FOOD and FOODS?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
Thanks for good forum. Hope to see more soon