Author Topic: For free  (Read 6944 times)

maxsims

• View Profile
For free
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »
Joe,

Your objection to "off of" is well stated.    It's a phrase that is not only ungrammatical but one that grates.     Strangely, while it is accepted widely in the USA as a spoken phrase, it is rare to see it in print.    I have seen is written but once, and then as dialogue.

What concerns me lately is another "standard" Americanism - "for free".    This regrettable utterance has become widespread in Australia over the past two years, initially and continually by the advertising fraternity (surprise! surprise!) and now increasingly by the general population.

When the Americans won their independence, there was a nationalistic move to adopt their own (not English) language.    That moved was knocked on the head - or was it?

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: For free
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »
Hmmmm....just entered "for free" in your trusty Merriam-Webster.    What did it come up with?

"Free"!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »
That's right, but the "for free" usage actually falls under definition #15, as follows:

15 : open to all comers
  –freeness   noun 
  –for free : without charge

In the Philippines, in particular, the usage of "for free" is a veritable free-for-all, and I think trying to stem the tide of its tsunamic usage is very much like King Canute vainly admonishing the waves to keep off the shore. ;D

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »
Yep, that's what definition 15 says - that "free" means "for free" and vice-versa!

If the descriptive approach means defending the indefensible, give me the prescriptive approach any time.

What next?    Rent-for free?  Tax-for free?  Post-for free?   

For gratis?