Author Topic: Find your own English-proficiency level with the G-TELP test  (Read 49559 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Find your own English-proficiency level with the G-TELP test
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »
This week, as part of the Forum’s series on “How Good is Your English?”, I am posting two sample Level 2 G-TELP tests: the first for English Grammar, and the second for Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary. As I explained in my introduction to this new section a month ago, G-TELP is the acronym for General Tests of English Language Proficiency. This test was developed by the International Testing Services Center (ITSC) in the United States and, unlike TOEIC or TOEFL, its has five different test levels ranging from beginner to advanced, with Level 5 (the entry level) the lowest and Level 1 (the professional level), the highest. G-TELP is primarily used for school or job placement tests, achievement tests, diagnostic tests, or enhancement of instruction for English language education at colleges or universities.

The sample Level 2 G-TELP tests being presented here this week are, as in the case of the TOEIC and TOEFL practice tests posted earlier in the Forum, only the reading and grammar portions of that level of the test. The listening test portions have been excluded because like those of the TOEIC and TOEFL, they require sound playback equipment that this Forum can’t provide. At any rate, G-TELP’s Level 2 and Level 3 reading and grammar portions are more or less comparable with the language levels of the corresponding portions of the TOEIC and TOEFL tests. Level 1 of G-TELP is far advanced and is usually administered for those applying for such jobs as hosts or anchors of English-language TV or radio programs, while Level 4-5 are for very junior learners of the English language. 

What makes G-TELP different from most commercial English-proficiency tests is that it assesses English-language competence in the context of specific tasks, with task difficulties matching the appropriate proficiency level. As the ITSC explains, the detailed diagnostic information provided by G-TELP is designed to enable instructors to gauge the present language skills of each examinee, and to make comparisons in language ability from one examinee to another. (Passing the G-TELP starting at a lower level and progressing to the higher levels is also a good way of measuring the success of one’s personal English self-improvement program.) In keeping with its objective of determining the actual English language skills of examinees, the ITSC—unlike most other test developers—doesn’t officially offer G-TELP test preparation materials.

Currently, G-TELP is administered by some schools and companies in China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico. Aside from testing in general English, some agencies of the ITSC also do language training in the field of aviation English.

Now, to give you a clearer idea of what to expect when required to take G-TELP, go right ahead and practice with the sample Level 2 Grammar Test and Level 2 Reading and Vocabulary Test!

This Week’s Practice Tests:
1. G-TELP Level 2 Grammar Test No. 1        Click to take it now!
2. G-TELP Level 2 Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary Test No. 1
                                                                         Click to take it now!   

Previous Practice Tests:
1. TOIEC Incomplete Sentences Test No. 1   Click to take it now!
2. TOEIC Error Recognition Test No. 1         Click to take it now!
3. TOEIC Reading Comprehension Test (Part VII) No. 1         Click to take it now!
4. TOEFL English Structure and Written Expression Test No. 1   Click to take it now!
5. TOEFL Reading Comprehension Test No. 1    Click to take it now!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:12:28 PM by Joe Carillo »

Trobby

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://cv-writing-services.org.uk/blog
    • Email
Re: Find your own English-proficiency level with the G-TELP test
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
Thanks for post)
I wholly used correspondent cv examples  privacy, because primarily they were drafted at lure degree and without manifold bugs.

joerenij

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the information about we can know the level of English with the G-TELP test. Now we can know about our English and we can improve it, if it is needed.

noelmadden

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
I am preparing for TOEFL test scheduled in the upcoming summer. The information you provide here is really very helpful for me for testing my proficiency level with the G-TELP test.

monireher

• Initiate
    • View Profile

24lopezbuster

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 07:06:06 AM »

Love, I went through the practice tests and got a not so bad score. Around 70% of the total score, I really need to improve my proficiency. Thanks for this one Joe.

zhikim528

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • r4ds
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »
Thanks for the information about we can know the level of English with the G-TELP test. Now we can know about our English and we can improve it. Thank you for sharing!

Amitrck9@gmail.com

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
Thanks for the information about we can know the level of English with the G-TELP test. Now we can know about our English and we can improve it. Thank you for sharing!

Davisheiskell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »
Thanks for Such a beautiful information you provided definitely going to help most of the student preparing for their Competitive  exam's .

potrebitel01

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:57 AM »
Great resource, very useful for everyone who wants to test his English proficiency level.

topsopsoftwarezzz

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - larrymcroberts33@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - topsopsoftware
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - topsopsoftware
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »
English proficiency is a great factor when applying for a job...sometimes its your own advantage if you are english proficient.
top S&OP software has, at least as a recognised concept, been around since the 1980's.

NillNickson

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:46:34 AM »
Great. Its very Important and helpful to everyone. Thanks

naveneet23

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
Joe, you should really promote further this wonderful forum. I was looking for good advanced English resources online and found this forum only by coincidence!  ;D

Keep up the good work
Large selection of pressure washer units, parts and accessories

cateespimsleur

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pimsleur italian downloads
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 02:50:59 AM »
Useful for all the people who want to test their proficiency level. Thanks a lot.

nous-infosystems

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Nous Infosystems
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »
let me take this test to know my English proficiency level, will share the results here....