Author Topic: Being + Adjective  (Read 11233 times)

zaniah

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Being + Adjective
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
How would you grammatically break down the phrase "My computer is being slow"?

I think that being + adjective is only used for people or institutions or animals, not inanimate objects.

"The Police are being careful not to ...."
"He is being very helpful".
"He is being difficult" but not "it is being difficult" rather "it is proving difficult".
Not "this fan is being slow" but "this fan is (running) slow".

Someone assured me that it is 'grammatically correct' ( I suppose it is ) and used "Dinner is being eaten" and "bananas being the exception" as examples of 'being' not being used with people, but to me the first example is a passive verb structure and the second example I'm not so sure about ( a noun phrase? ), but either way they both seem grammatically different in structure.

I wonder if by "My computer is being very slow" they mean "My computer has been very slow", the way people will say "I would of..." instead of "I would have ..."?

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:53:05 AM by zaniah »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Being + Adjective
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:06 AM »
You’re right. The form “is being” is normally used only in the case of animate beings such as humans and the higher form of animals, its sense being that of a conscious or deliberate effort  by a living entity. In that sense, “My computer is being slow” would be grammatically iffy if not outright faulty. The correct sense would be conveyed by knocking off the verb “being” from that sentence: “My computer is slow.” This time, with the sentence using only the linking verb “is,” the sense conveyed is not an action but a state of being.

Of course, it’s perfectly grammatical to say “My computer being slow, I decided to buy a new one.” Without the linking verb “is,” the clause “my computer being slow” functions as a participial phrase modifier—an adjective—to convey the state of slowness.   

If we want to convey the sense of a developing action, however, we can use “getting” as the main verb instead of “being,” as in this sentence: “My computer is getting slow.” The sense here is, of course, that of an action that’s just happening without a conscious or deliberate effort.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:48:05 PM by Joe Carillo »

zaniah

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
Thanks so much! Just as I thought  ;D

calvinjonny

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »
I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Excellent work!

Dennis Yu
Theresa Tese