Author Topic: Cat surrounded by iridescent flowers  (Read 15867 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cat surrounded by iridescent flowers
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »
This image of a cat surrounded by iridescent flowers was sent to me by a friend. My wife loved it so much that she made it a wallpaper for her mobile phone. What do you think of it?

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: Cat surrounded by iridescent flowers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
I don't think that it's a Filipino cat!

shaoley

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »
I say thumbs up!!! 8)

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »
i think, all cats seeing a mouse would look like that. cats usually look timid and sleepy, regardless of "nationality". ;D

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »
And the question mark is missing!

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »
I think it's a male cat searching for its love.  ;D :D

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
And the question mark is missing!

That's very perceptive of you, Max, but I expected greater grammar savvy from you! Yes, it's true that the obligatory question mark is missing from "How are you," but the traditional exclamation mark is also missing from "Hi." That greeting should be grammatically reconstructed as follows:

"Hi! How are you?"

Are we now all agreed that the writer of that greeting couldn't be a native English speaker? In such cases, what nationalities are the usual suspects? Who can do such a fetching artwork without knowing basic English grammar? Just food for thought. Please don't post your hunches so they can't accuse this Forum of xenophobia. ;D

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »
No!

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
Yes, a lot of people are xenophobic!  ;D. You're an awesome Aussie, Max Sims!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:30:11 PM by Sky »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 11:56:51 PM »
Just for the record, my daughter Nikki (the eldest among three children) had a cat that looked somewhat like that; I suppose that would have qualified that cat to be Filipino. ::) Anyway, a family friend had given that cat to my daughter when she was four or five. She named it Sebastian after one of the catty characters--a male lobster, if my memory serves me well--in the Disney movie The Little Mermaid. Sebastian grew up to be a handsome tomcat, but one day we noticed that his tummy had gotten bigger. We thought he had a stomach ailment or something so we thought of bringing him to a vet. A few weeks later he gave birth to four healthy kittens. Sebastian, it turned out, was female after all! Cest la vie!

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 03:21:47 AM »
...You're an awesome Aussie, Max Sims!  Grin...

This is true!    :)

But, just for the record, I was replying "no" to Joe's question "Are we all agreed...etc".   I know plenty of native English speakers who can whip up computer-generated artwork in a flash but forget about exclamation marks and the like.

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 07:56:32 AM »
Sir, Joe! Can we use the pronouns "he," "she," "him," and "her" to animals instead of "it"? We were taught to just use the pronoun "it" to refer to animals before.  ???

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
The neuter pronoun “it” is, of course, formally used when the antecedent noun is an animal. This should be the case in formal writing and in most business communication (with veterinary jargon as a notable exception). However, for pets of known gender and for which the owner has strong feelings of affection, particularly cats and dogs, English allows for flexibility in using the pronouns “he” and "him or “she” and "her" when referring to one of them. This usage is highly idiosyncratic, though, occurring mostly in first-person narratives where the pet owner talks of a pet named with a proper noun, such as the cat “Sebastian” in the case at hand.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
News feed: Cats "exploit" humans by purring
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 11:36:05 PM »
Forum member Hill Roberts in Spain sent me a news feed yesterday about a BBC news report by science reporter Victoria Hill that says cats "exploit" humans by purring.

Read "Cats 'exploit' humans by purring" in BBC News now!

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
Hill, what an interesting article that is! (Where are you? Been absent for two days?) Animals have their own way of communicating to humans. Not only cats, but also all other domesticated animals have this characteristic.

For some time, I learned how to react to the piglets my mother was raising when we were young. And, (as what Maxsims has mentioned), we checked on them "with clips in their ears". (The mother swine had the most number of different whinings and tune types. It was the noisiest, most incontrollable domesticated beast I have ever encountered. Its weapon is her siren-like, trumpet-like sound that you'd always regret raising pigs in your backyard (those were the days...).

My grandfather as well, learned how to interpret the sounds his carabao was making at different hours of the day, and his carabao had learned how to cope with the various moods my grandfather had. Sad, carabaos are the kindest of the animals I have ever seen, that no matter what words (or curses) my grand dad called the plump guy, it was always timid.

It's just the chickens I found so difficult to understand, but when food was around, they had the faintest cacklings. Mother hens also had the largest variation of pitches and beats, staccato or calm sounds,  ;) ;) ;). They dont say anything though, when you slip your hand into their nest, and you grab a very warm egg for breakfast  ;D. They just give you a souvenir red peck  :o :o ouch!

Dogs, I think, are closest to humans. They make sounds at the same time do some actions suggesting their thoughts and moods. Hmmmn. I think I am related to Dr. Doolittle.  ::) I'll tell you more... about monkeys and iguanas later...

tata!
madgirldoolittle :P