Author Topic: True Finite Verbs?  (Read 9859 times)

Musushi-tamago

• Initiate
    • View Profile
True Finite Verbs?
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
At my school a few days ago, my English teacher mentioned something about a"true finite verb"

She pointed out the parts of the sentence “To leave now is out of the question.”. She mentioned briefly that “to leave” is not a "true finite verb".

I know that “leave” is a verb, but why is it not a “true finite verb”? What does that mean?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: True Finite Verbs?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
If the negative for the term “true finite verb” doesn’t ring a bell to you and to many other people, it’s because the more commonly used term for it is “non-finite verb.” Of course, this abstract term itself is not self-explanatory and needs to be explained.

A true finite verb is one where the verb shows tense, person, and number (either singular or plural). It either describes an action or expresses a state of being, and can stand by itself as the main verb of a sentence. Examples of finite verb forms: “I sing.” “He sings.” “We sang.” (These are actions taken.) “I am happy.” “She was happy.” “They were happy.” (This is a state of being using different forms of the linking verb “be.”)

A non-finite verb, in contrast, is one where the verb assumes a form without tense or person. They are what we know as the verbals: the infinitives, gerunds, and the present or past participles. In these forms, the verbs no longer function as verbs; they function either as nouns or adjectives. As nouns they are always singular in number; as adjectives, of course, they have no number at all.

Consider the following examples of verbals:

Infinitive form:To eat is not advisable now.” In this sentence, “to eat” is a noun functioning as the subject of the sentence.

Gerund form:Eating is not advisable.” In this sentence, “eating” is a noun functioning as the subject of the sentence. Of course, a gerund can sometimes also be the doer of the action in a sentence, as in “Eating makes the patient sick.”

Participle form:
Past participle – “The eaten apple was not a fresh one.” In this sentence, the past participle “eaten” is functioning as an adjective modifying “apple.”

Present participle – “The eating competition drew a lot of participants.” In this sentence, the present participle “eating” is functioning as an adjective modifying “competition.”

Now we can answer this crucial question: What’s the point of using the qualifier “true” in describing certain “finite verbs”? It is this: One of the verb forms, the one that ends in “-ing,” can either be “true finite verb” or a “non-finite verb” depending on the usage. It’s a true finite verb when used in the progressive tense, as in “He is preaching environmentalism.” (Here, “preaching” works as a verb in the progressive tense supported by the auxiliary verb “is.”) On the other hand, it is non-finite when used as a gerund, as in “Preaching is what he does right now.” (Here, preaching is a noun working as the subject of the sentence.)

In other words, a verb is a true finite verb when it’s actually doing its usual work as a verb, and a non-finite verb when it’s working as something else—either as a noun or as an adjective.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:30:12 AM by Joe Carillo »