Author Topic: "Getting the best cure possible for bad English usage"  (Read 8012 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Getting the best cure possible for bad English usage"
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »
Forum member Arvin Ortiz posted in his blog yesterday an incisive, charming review of my second English-usage book, The 10 Most Annoying English Grammar Errors. It starts as follows:

"If you approach a snake-oil vendor, he will tell you, without a moment’s hesitation, that something’s wrong with you, and that you better take his medicine. A medical doctor, by contrast, after performing a battery of tests, not only will tell what ails you, but also explains what causes your ailment. Then he will recommend the best cure possible..."

Check out the full book review by clicking this link to his blog, The Free Lancer.

Thanks a million, Arvin!

madgirl09

• View Profile
Re: "Getting the best cure possible for bad English usage"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:22:49 PM »
Sir Joe, when would you have an ebook version of your books? It's time to go digital! If you could also write a TOEIC review material combined with an English refresher course for OFWs in Japan, we'd be very glad...(you could be another "modern day hero" too, helping the "heroes" of Philippine economy). I think, Filipinos here would patronize Filipino writers more than they would other authors, assured that Filipino writers are more familiar with our common errors. Another option would be starting an online grammar course and grammar testing site for interested people. Many sites now have their test-correcting software (See Randall's ESL Lab, for example).

Once the regulation to require foreign English teachers here to at least obtain a grade of B or 750 in TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication), many of our Filipino ALTs would be forced to go back to school. "Onegaishimasu....".

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
No more time or energy for modern-day heroics
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
I have sold the rights to my three English-usage books to my publisher, so taking the initiative to do an e-book version of them is no longer mine. E-books would be nice to have, though, but I would think that the problem with e-books is protecting the rights to instantaneously reproducible digital materials in a region notoriously awash with copyright pirates. As to doing TOEIC review material and running online English review courses, I ran a Manila-based foreign company for almost five years doing that and doing TOEFL and G-TELP review materials as well. It was great while it lasted. Let’s just say that it’s no longer my cup of tea and that I’m probably not too young anymore to aspire to be another “modern-day hero.” Anyway, madgirl09, wouldn’t you rather have me in this Forum? ::)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:30:39 PM by Joe Carillo »

renzphotography

Our own book project
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:01:04 AM »

Why don't we think of a book project and put it together as a collaborative effort? There are so many of us here who could countribute. A collection of essays on a given topic could easily be put together for publication.

What we need is a good book proposal, any idea floating out there?

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »
Great idea! Why don't we put together about 5 essays from each author? Each essay must have corresponding grammar and vocabulary attacks, exercises and games...What do you think? I suggest each text to have tests that would cater to various levels: adult 800 plus level, 600--to 400, then HS intermediate to advanced, junor high beginner level, etc. This way, ALTs could use the other exercises they find easy to their students. I am tired of thinking various different ways of introducing lessons in challenging and enjoyable ways. I need some support from other writers.

I have recommended to them Baron's TOEIC review as it contains about 100 pages of grammar and vocab.review and 600 pages of tests (with answers explained in detail). That book costs 2,100 yen (1,100 pesos), but charging them 1000 yen, half that thick of a book would still be reasonable. I now have a laser b/w printer/copier, so I think it would be good to start soon. I do the printing, you supply me half of the material. Deal? How much do you charge per material?

Arvin Ortiz

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Free Lancer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »
Forum member Arvin Ortiz posted in his blog yesterday an incisive, charming review of my second English-usage book, The 10 Most Annoying English Grammar Errors. It starts as follows:

"If you approach a snake-oil vendor, he will tell you, without a moment’s hesitation, that something’s wrong with you, and that you better take his medicine. A medical doctor, by contrast, after performing a battery of tests, not only will tell what ails you, but also explains what causes your ailment. Then he will recommend the best cure possible..."

Check out the full book review by clicking this link to his blog, The Free Lancer.

Thanks a million, Arvin!

My pleasure, Sir Joe.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
About your suggested English-usage book project
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:40:43 AM »

Why don't we think of a book project and put it together as a collaborative effort? There are so many of us here who could countribute. A collection of essays on a given topic could easily be put together for publication.

What we need is a good book proposal, any idea floating out there?

Great idea! Why don't we put together about 5 essays from each author? Each essay must have corresponding grammar and vocabulary attacks, exercises and games...What do you think? I suggest each text to have tests that would cater to various levels: adult 800 plus level, 600--to 400, then HS intermediate to advanced, junor high beginner level, etc. This way, ALTs could use the other exercises they find easy to their students. I am tired of thinking various different ways of introducing lessons in challenging and enjoyable ways. I need some support from other writers.

I have recommended to them Baron's TOEIC review as it contains about 100 pages of grammar and vocab.review and 600 pages of tests (with answers explained in detail). That book costs 2,100 yen (1,100 pesos), but charging them 1000 yen, half that thick of a book would still be reasonable. I now have a laser b/w printer/copier, so I think it would be good to start soon. I do the printing, you supply me half of the material. Deal? How much do you charge per material?

Due to the disturbances caused by the recent killer floods and power outages in Metro Manila, I completely missed out responding to your book suggestion. I just want to let you know that I'm open to the idea. I'll check if some of my former English test developers would be willing and available to participate in the book project. In the meantime, I suggest that both of you work together off the Forum to come out with some sort of concept paper and outline just to get things started. I promise to give my inputs and help flesh out the project package.

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:19:19 PM »
Essays....yes, why not? What about poems? Of course poems that rhyme, the
traditional way since there are many poets nowadays who write articles and
convert them into "poems"... ;D I think Joe is welcome to anything, but aren't
we members just wearing him a bit thin? Regards to all.

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »
Any form of writing and genre (just give a brief introduction/description of the form) would be good for the "anthology" (is this how you call it?). I love poems too, Hill. I just taught my high school students short poems like haiku and tanka.

Many of our English teacher trainees here do not have any teaching background nor college degree. There is no regulation on assistant English teacher qualification yet, that is why. It would be good to give a refresher course to these applicants, or make available to them course materials patterned after the usual (HS and College) English literacy curriculum through Literature.

I would like, of course, Sir Joe to be the editor of the final output, apart from being the main contributor  ;)...if he has time. :) If he could also contribute a 100-item grammar test for each TOEIC Proficiency Level: 1) D-Level, Beginner-300 to 450 (likely to get 400 out of 1000 items); 2) C-level, High Beginner,450 to 600; 3) B-level, Intermediate-601 to 750; 4) A-level, Advanced 751 to 900, so it could suit all levels of learners...I think, our project would be an excellent learning material....Just a suggestion. What do you think, guys?  ;D