Author Topic: What's correct: "privileged speech" or "privilege speech"?  (Read 28507 times)

jonathanfvaldez

• View Profile
What's correct: "privileged speech" or "privilege speech"?
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
Hi Mr. Carillo:

I'm a regular reader of the online editions of Philippine newspapers, including Manila Times and Malaya.  This week's focus (at least to me) was the Ping Lacson vs. Jinggoy Estrada showdown in the Senate.  In both Manila Times and Malaya, the reporters called their exposes and counter-exposes "privilege speech."  Shouldn't it be "privileged speech"?

Jonathan 

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's correct: "privileged speech" or "privilege speech"?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »
I'm a regular reader of the online editions of Philippine newspapers, including Manila Times and Malaya.  This week's focus (at least to me) was the Ping Lacson vs. Jinggoy Estrada showdown in the Senate.  In both Manila Times and Malaya, the reporters called their exposes and counter-exposes "privilege speech."  Shouldn't it be "privileged speech"?

Jonathan 

Grammatically speaking, the correct term should be “privileged speech,” where “privileged” (with the “d”) is an adjective that means “not subject to the usual rules or penalties because of some special circumstance; especially not subject to disclosure in a court of law  <a privileged communication>” (Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary). The usage without the “d” in “privilege” is, of course, the norm for the term “parliamentary privilege” (also “absolute privilege”), which grants protection to legislators from civil or criminal liability for actions done or statements made related to one's duties as a legislature.

In the Philippines, however, the term “privilege speech” (without the “d” in “privilege”) has gained wider currency particularly in the reportage of Philippine newspapers and broadcast media outlets. This is most likely because this spelling of the term has been enshrined in the “Term of Office and Privileges” of the Senate of the Republic of the Philippines, which I quote below (italicizations mine):

“5. Scope of Privilege Speech:

“Personal and Collective
“A question of privilege consists of a question affecting the rights of the Senate collectively or of its members individually including its privileges, reputation, conduct, decorum, dignity and integrity of proceedings.

“A Senator may rise to a question of personal privilege at any time, but he cannot interrupt or take another Senator from the floor for that purpose without the latter’s consent. However, the reading of the Journal cannot be interrupted by a question of personal privilege neither can a question of privilege be raised when there is no quorum or when the roll is being called.

“Under this provision, a member of the Senate may raise a question of privilege by a statement or remark on the floor and if sustained by the Chair, the member is entitled to speak.

“After the privilege speech of a Senator, another member was recognized on a question of personal privilege to clarify certain matters in which he participated and which was left out in the privilege speech of the former.

“A member rose to speak on a question of personal privilege as his name was linked in a news item which was considered as a malicious publication.”

I must acknowledge therefore that the Philippine mass media’s usage of “privilege speech” without the “d” in “privilege” simply reflects—whether grammatically right or wrong—the grammatical choice of the Philippine Senate itself.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:36:38 PM by Joe Carillo »

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:51:18 PM »
IMHO, I can see both "privileged" and "privilege" as possible modifiers, but I am confused  :-\.
The word "privileged", a past participle, could be used as modifier for "speech" describing that speech as "especially not subject to disclosure in a court..."; "privilege" is a noun adjective which could also be used to modify this "speech" referred to in the context, describing this particular type of "speech" as one that deals with the senators' privileges.

In that example printed in the papers, I think, "privilege speech" is more appropriate. It focused more on the type of speech each solon delivered, instead of "how" their speeches were treated if saying "privileged speech".  ::)

jonathanfvaldez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
Shouldn't the last word on the first paragraph be "legislator" (instead of "legislature")?

Instead of kowtowing to the Senate's usage (or to any other group's customary way of saying things --- as how one forum member observed lawyers casually say "plea of guilty"), the media should always opt for the correct usage, not only to maintain its credibility but also to educate its readers.  To quote part of your response to that forum member's question, "There ought to be a law against such grammar misuse, and it better be enacted fast before some trigger-happy compañeros of yours start casually using “plea of innocent” and—Lady Justice forbid!— think of enshrining it in the Rules of Evidence as well."

Oh, and on "plea of innocent," that shouldn't ever be the case because isn't a plea either "guilty" or "not guilty" (as in guilty plea or not guilty plea)?

Ah, lawyers.   ::)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
Buenos dias, Joe,
In the UK, those who speak the Queen's English would say,
"privileged speech".
In the north of England, as in William Wordsworth country---
Cumbria, many of them speak and sound differently. Many
of my British friends in this part of the world think their grammar
is correct.
Here's one glaring example:
1. "He's leaning again the wall." Believe it or not, I still have to
hear them use the correct preposition, "against". In other words,
in some parts of the Philippines, would there be a variation of
the misuse of preposition? Or is spoken and written English language
 standard up and down the archipelago? ;D :-X
In the UK, more than half the entire population do not anymore
speak the Queen's English. The BBC has allowed regional accents
to proliferate these last fifteen years. Perhaps, this is the reason
why grammar has been downgraded to dramatic effect.
The BBC used to be the bastion of the Queen's English---nowadays,
even those so-called "upper-class accent sounding folks" newsreaders

or presenters make too many casual grammatical errors during interviews.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:07:48 AM »
I'm afraid that bad English has become endemic even among native English speakers in many English-speaking countries. This is why there's a group in London called the Plain English Campaign that's making a yeoman's effort--a lonely and thankless one, I must say--to correct the situation. Bad English, of course, isn't only the grammatically, semantically, or structurally defective kind but also the grammar-perfect but incomprehensible gobbledygook of some academics and government bureaucrats and the mind-numbing legalese of lawyers and of company personnel who use legalese as their default language in their memos, letters, and reports.

putingtupa

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:18:18 AM »
I'm not sure if "endemic" was the right word to use in this case.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »
In this context, my Merriam-Webster’s 11th  Collegiate Dictionary defines “endemic” as (1)“characteristic of or prevalent in a particular field, area, or environment, as in “problems endemic to translation” or “the self-indulgence endemic in the film industry”; and (2) “restricted or peculiar to a locality or region, as in “endemic diseases” or “an endemic species.” So I think that my usage of “endemic” in the posting above is grammatically and semantically aboveboard.

Now, Putingtupa, could you please tell us why you’re not sure if “endemic” is the right word to use in this particular case? What word would you rather use?

Mateo

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravebeans.com/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
 Correct, and the powers that be decided to allow various forms of free
> > speech, including religious free speech,...
> No, they decided to allow various forms of privileged speech.
> need to explain the distinction again?

Sure.  Try again to do it without revealing that what is actually happening is a particular restriction of religious free speech in the context...

---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ravebeans.com/