Author Topic: What is the proper verb tense after the word 'did'?  (Read 58366 times)

renzphotography

What is the proper verb tense after the word 'did'?
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:46:15 PM »

Many people use the present tense after using the word "did" (the past tense of the verb "do").

Example:
Did you cook the pasta we ate for dinner?

However, there are some who use the past tense.

Example:
Did you cooked the pasta we ate for dinner?

This is a source of confusion. Would someone please shed light on this topic? Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 06:52:31 AM by renzphotography »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is the proper verb tense after the word 'did'?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »

Many people use the present tense after using the word "did" (the past tense of the verb "do").

Example:
Did you cook the pasta we ate for dinner?

However, there are some who use the past tense.

Example:
Did you cooked the pasta we ate for dinner?

This is a source of confusion. Would someone please shed light on this topic? Thanks.

The question “Did you cook the pasta we ate for dinner?” is correct while the question “Did you cooked the pasta we ate for dinner?” is grammatically wrong. When indicating the negative of a statement in the past tense, it’s not the main verb but the helping verb that takes the tense. In this particular case, the helping verb “do” takes the past tense “did” while the main verb “cook” stays as is (as “cook,” or the infinitive of the verb without the “to”).

This needs a more detailed explanation, of course. 

English has three primary helping verbs—“do,” “be,” and “have.” Also called auxiliary verbs, they help the main verb in a sentence form questions, negatives, and some verb tenses. The general rule is that when a helping verb is used in a sentence, it is the helping verb that takes the tense, while the main verb takes its base form (the infinitive of the verb without the “to,” as in “make” from the infinitive “to make”).

“Do” in particular is used to (a) indicate questions, (b) indicate the negative of a statement, and (c) emphasize a statement.

“Do” to indicate a question: “Did he take the bus?” “Does he take the bus?” In both the past and present tense, it is the helping verb “do” that takes the tense. The main verb “take” doesn’t take the tense and remains in its base form.

“Do” to indicate the negative of a statement: “I did not take the bus.” “I don’t take the bus.” In both these sentences, it is the helping verb “do” that takes the tense. The main verb “take” doesn’t take the tense and remains in its base form.

“Do” to emphasize a statement: “I did take the bus.” “I do take the bus.” Here, “do” works to strongly emphasize a response to a particular question like, say, “Did (or “Do” you really take the bus?” Again, in such cases, it is the helping verb “do” that takes the tense. The main verb “take” doesn’t take the tense and remains in its base form.