Author Topic: Almost a grammar-perfect day for the major broadsheets, but…  (Read 9086 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Almost a grammar-perfect day for the major broadsheets, but…
« on: September 12, 2009, 01:58:42 AM »
I thought I was in for a very pleasant surprise in my media English watch yesterday. I had already gone over two of the major Metro Manila broadsheets and was then halfway through the third without finding any notable grammar or semantic error in any of them. I was therefore about to make the happy conclusion that at least for the day, everything was well with the English of the three majors in Philippine print journalism.

That was until I came upon this lead sentence in the inside news section of the third broadsheet:

(1)
“Apart from its continuing campaign to eradicate illegal vendors, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said on Monday it will soon launch a crackdown against illegal public utility vehicle terminals in the metropolis, especially those ‘protected’ by barangay officials and unscrupulous policemen for grease money.”

I asked myself, “eradicate illegal vendors”? Doesn’t that amount to extrajudicial killing? At the very least, it sounds like those vendors are to be exterminated like vermin!

After that, my eye was caught by this lead sentence of a lifestyle column in that same broadsheet:

(2)
“Constantly on Red Alert over old houses in demolition, hamburger joints on heritage ground, cultural treasures dazzling with candy colors, it doesn’t take much to warm the hearts of cultural heritage buffs. This time it’s over bits of paint.”

Hmm…I wondered: “What’s the subject of that first sentence?” And I had to ask myself this second question: “Precisely what’s the author saying in that first sentence?”

My temples tightening now, I soon also came upon this lead sentence of a feature story in that lifestyle section:

(3)
“The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are setting their caps to be the next big investment hub of the Philippines.”

“Setting their caps”? What does that mean? Is it a new idiom that I had never come across or learned in my life?

And then this, too, grabbed my attention:

(4)
“Did you know that nine out of 10 new restaurants fail? That was brought home to me in a country on the far side of the world, France, which I first visited a long time ago.”

What does the “that” in the second sentence refer to? There seems to be no referent or antecedent for it at all, or is there?

And finally, I was completely stumped by this lead sentence of a feature story in that same lifestyle section:

(5)
 “For anyone who wants to have a taste of the historic and landmark events that has a touch of Malaysian culture, they can find it right here without leaving the country. In Sultan Kudarat in Mindanao, named after Sultan Muhammad Dipatuan Kudarat, who was a Maguindanao-sultan reigning from 1623 to 1627, the culture, the places, and its people speak for themselves.”

What, I asked myself, what is the author telling me here? And why had not the copyeditor corrected all those glaring grammatical errors in that sentence?

MY CRITIQUE AND SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENTS:

Let’s now analyze each of the problematic lead passages above and see how they can be improved.

(1) Wrong word choice
“Apart from its continuing campaign to eradicate illegal vendors, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said on Monday it will soon launch a crackdown against illegal public utility vehicle terminals in the metropolis, especially those ‘protected’ by barangay officials and unscrupulous policemen for grease money.”

I’m sure that the author meant that the MMDA’s campaign against illegal vendors was something much milder and more humane than “eradicating” them; otherwise, MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando will have lots to answer with the Commission of Human Rights. Unless you are contemplating genocide, you can’t just eradicate vendors even if they are engaged in illegal activity. I therefore think that this is just a case of a wrong word choice. We actually can eradicate the “extrajudicial killing” aspect of that sentence by simply changing the word “vendors” to “vending”—meaning that you are eradicating the illegal activity but not the people doing it. Or, to fix the semantic problem, perhaps we can replace the phrase “to eradicate illegal vendors” with, say, “get illegal vendors off city streets.”

Here then are those two alternatives as fleshed out:

(1a)
“Apart from its continuing campaign to eradicate illegal vending, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said on Monday it will soon launch a crackdown against illegal public utility vehicle terminals in the metropolis, especially those ‘protected’ by barangay officials and unscrupulous policemen for grease money.”

(1b)
“Apart from its continuing campaign to get illegal vendors off city streets, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said on Monday it will soon launch a crackdown against illegal public utility vehicle terminals in the metropolis, especially those ‘protected’ by barangay officials and unscrupulous policemen for grease money.”

(2) Dangling modifier
“Constantly on Red Alert over old houses in demolition, hamburger joints on heritage ground, cultural treasures dazzling with candy colors, it doesn’t take much to warm the hearts of cultural heritage buffs. This time it’s over bits of paint.”

I’m sure that like me, you didn’t find the subject of that first sentence either, and it’s for the simple reason that none is to be found. It’s a classic case of a sentence with a dangling modifier, and that dangling modifier is “constantly on Red Alert over old houses in demolition, hamburger joints on heritage ground, cultural treasures dazzling with candy colors.” It dangles because its bad placement doesn’t allow it to modify anything in that sentence: not “old houses,” “not hamburger joints,” not “cultural treasures,” and much less the “it” in the main clause, “it doesn’t take much to warm the hearts of cultural heritage buffs.”

Indeed, that “it” couldn’t be the subject of that sentence at all. It’s an anticipatory pronoun that’s called an expletive in English grammar. My digital Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary defines expletive as “a syllable, word, or phrase inserted to fill a vacancy (as in a sentence or a metrical line) without adding to the sense; especially a word (as it in <make it clear which you prefer>) that occupies the position of the subject or object of a verb in normal English word order and anticipates a subsequent word or phrase that supplies the needed meaningful content.” (In linguistics, an expletive is defined as “a word or other grammatical element that has no meaning but is needed to fill a syntactic position, such as the words it and there in the sentences “It’s raining” and “There are many books on the table.”)

The only possible logical subject of that sentence is “cultural buffs,” but we need to reconstruct that sentence to make that subject take on its rightful role. The second sentence also needs to be rewritten to link it more strongly with the first sentence; as it is, the preposition “over” gets in the way and prevents “bits of paint” from being a proper answer to the question, “What doesn’t take much to warm the hearts of cultural heritage buffs?” Take out “over” and the two sentences click into a neat semantic interlock.

Another thing: I was puzzled by the use of the term “Red Alert” with the first letters capitalized; for a moment I thought the author was referring to the lantern or battery brand. To avoid such confusion, it’s advisable to render that term in all small letters, then set it off with an open quote and close quotes, as I have done below in my reconstructions of that sentence. 

Here’s my first reconstruction that eliminates the dangling modifier in that sentence while retaining the modifying phrase up front:

(2b)
“Constantly on ‘red alert’ over old houses in demolition, hamburger joints on heritage ground, and cultural treasures dazzling with candy colors, cultural heritage buffs don’t need much to warm their hearts. This time it is only bits of paint.”

And here’s a more straightforward reconstruction that puts the rightful subject of the sentence up front and immediately puts the burden of the action on that subject, thus making the sentence much clearer and easier to read: 

(2a)
Cultural heritage buffs are constantly on “red alert” over old houses in demolition, hamburger joints on heritage ground, and cultural treasures dazzling with candy colors, and it doesn’t take much to warm their hearts. This time it is only bits of paint.”

Either way, the dangling modifier is nicely eliminated.

(3) Wrong idiomatic expression
“The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are setting their caps to be the next big investment hub of the Philippines.”

I doubt very much if “setting their caps” is what the author meant in that sentence. For one thing, it’s a very obscure idiomatic expression—a colloquial one—that the 1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary defines as “to try to win the favor of a man with a view to marriage,” and that has also the obsolete meaning of “to make a fool of no one.”

Here’s a dialogue from Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility (1881) that actually uses that idiomatic expression (all italicizations mine):

“Aye, aye, I see how it will be,” said Sir John, “I see how it will be. You will be setting your cap at him [Willoughby] now, and never think of poor Brandon."

“That is an expression, Sir John,” said Marianne, warmly, “which I particularly dislike. I abhor every common-place phrase by which wit is intended; and ‘setting one’s cap at a man,’ or ‘making a conquest,’ are the most odious of all.”

This being the case, I have a strong feeling that the reporter who wrote that lead sentence in the broadsheet’s lifestyle section meant the expression “are setting their sights” instead, which means “determined to pursue a certain course of action,” as in this corrected version of that sentence:

(3a)
“The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are setting their sights to be the next big investment hub of the Philippines.”

Are there any other possible idiomatic expressions in place of “setting their sights” here? Do let me know.

(4) Failure of “that” to do its pointing job
“Did you know that nine out of 10 new restaurants fail? That was brought home to me in a country on the far side of the world, France, which I first visited a long time ago.”

I observed earlier that the word “that” in the second sentence of the statement above doesn’t seem to have any referent or antecedent noun at all. It certainly couldn’t be the noun “restaurants” that was brought home to the author; it must be something else. But precisely what was it?

Well, because it’s grammatically inadequate for the task, “that” in this case couldn’t possibly point specifically to anything in the first sentence. It is actually being used as a so-called repeated action reference word, which is meant to represent or point back to ideas, elements, events, or situations presented or described earlier in the composition. Unfortunately, there is no noun in the sentence preceding it that it can point to, so it can’t work as a demonstrative pronoun; instead, it has to take on the role simply of a demonstrative adjective, and a demonstrative adjective can only work with an appropriate noun that can stand for the idea expressed in the preceding sentence. And what might that appropriate noun be?

Under the circumstances, the author should have supplied that noun, which would be one that denotes the core idea of the sentence “Did you know that nine out of 10 new restaurants fail?” That noun might be, say, “realization,” “knowledge,” “information,” “idea,” or words to this effect. I’d pick “realization” anytime, and I’d pair if off with the demonstrative adjective “that.” In the process, though, I’d have to get rid of the phrase “was brought home to me” in the author’s second sentence, which doesn’t mesh well with “realization.” Instead, I would simply use the verb phrase “struck me.”

I will then reconstruct the original statement as follows:

(4a)
“Did you know that nine out of 10 new restaurants fail? That realization struck me in a country on the far side of the world, France, which I first visited a long time ago.”

The trick is to pair off the demonstrative adjective “that” with a suitable noun that sums up or captures the idea of the first sentence. Only then will such constructions using “that” work when, all by its lonesome, it’s unable to work as a demonstrative noun.

But there are two even simpler—if less dramatic—alternatives:

(4b)
“Did you know that nine out of 10 new restaurants fail? I came to know about this in a country on the far side of the world, France, which I first visited a long time ago.”

(4c)
“Did you know that nine out of 10 new restaurants fail? I learned about this in a country on the far side of the world, France, which I first visited a long time ago.”

(5) Inappropriate word choices and unclear phrasing; subject-verb disagreements; run-on sentence
 “For anyone who wants to have a taste of the historic and landmark events that has a touch of Malaysian culture, they can find it right here without leaving the country. In Sultan Kudarat in Mindanao, named after Sultan Muhammad Dipatuan Kudarat, who was a Maguindanao-sultan reigning from 1623 to 1627, the culture, the places, and its people speak for themselves.”

The above lead paragraph is semantically and grammatically flawed and precisely what it’s saying is difficult to fathom. Here are the reasons why:

1. The first sentence is wordy, badly phrased, and seriously grammatically flawed:
    (a) It invokes the wrong sense—“taste”—instead of the correct one—“sight” or “feeling”—for things that are meant to be seen or felt, which in this case are “historic and landmark events.” For a moment, therefore, the reader is led to think that what the author is talking about is Malaysian cuisine, not culture.
   (b) It uses the plural pronoun “they” as antecedent subject in the main clause, but uses the singular pronoun to “anyone” to refer to refer to that pronoun in the subordinate prepositional phrase. It makes another subject-verb disagreement error by using the singular verb “has” to refer to the plural antecedent noun “events.”
2. The word “country” in the first sentence doesn’t clearly refer to the Philippines, which it should; “country” thus could easily be mistaken for Malaysia because the preceding elements in the sentence refer to Malaysia.
3. The second sentence is a run-on sentence that’s so overloaded with details that what it’s saying is very difficult to grasp. It needs to spin off some of its elements into another sentence to relieve the semantic congestion.
4. The phrase “named after Sultan Muhammad Dipatuan Kudarat” is actually a misplaced modifier; due to its wrong position, it modifies the noun “Mindanao” instead of “Sultan Kudarat.”

Below is a proposed major overhaul of the sentence:

“You don’t need to leave the Philippines to get an idea of the how much Malaysian culture had influenced the country. Just go to Sultan Kudarat province in Mindanao. In this province that was named after Sultan Muhammad Dipatuan Kudarat, a Maguindanao sultan who reigned from 1623 to 1627, that cultural influence is very much in evidence in the place and in its people.”

This will be all for this week.

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: Almost a grammar-perfect day for the major broadsheets, but…
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
(3a)
“The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are setting their sights to be the next big investment hub of the Philippines.”

Are there any other possible idiomatic expressions in place of “setting their sights” here? Do let me know.

Most Anglo-Saxons would say "aiming".    Those who would say "setting their sights" would alter the sentence to "setting their sights on becoming" or "setting their sights to become".

They would also ask if the two provinces are acting in concert.   If not, "hub" should become "hubs", in which case they would ask if the Philippines can have multiple investment hubs.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »
Max, you’re right on the dot about the literal verb  “aiming” as the more forthright word choice for the action in that sentence. However, and I’m sure you meant it that way although you didn’t say so, it has to be made very clear that when we use that verb, we need to knock off “their sights” altogether. The sentence would then run this way: “The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are aiming to become the next big investment hub of the Philippines.” Although not grammatically incorrect, it would be awkward and superfluous to say “The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are aiming their sights on becoming the next big investment hub of the Philippines” or “The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are aiming their sights to become the next big investment hub of the Philippines.” In gunnery language, both usages would be overkill.

And, of course, you’re absolutely right that “setting their sights on becoming” or “setting their sights to become” are the more precise forms of the “setting their sights” idiom. I would heartily recommend them over “setting their sights to be,” the form I suggested in place of the phrasal verb “setting their caps to be” in that problematic sentence.

About your observation that Iloilo and Guimaras would have to be acting in concert for the noun “hub” to be used in the singular form in that sentence, I was reminded of a trip I made to the Visayas way back in the late 1980s. I remember taking a ferry ride to Iloilo City and seeing the rocky contours of Guimaras Island in the near distance. There was only a narrow stretch of sea between them; in fact, I checked this map just now and have verified that Iloilo and Guimaras are indeed very close geographical neighbors. Now, based on that fleeting long-ago experience and that map, I was thinking that barring intra-province politics, it would be practical and desirable for Iloilo and Guimaras to act in concert to become a single investment hub. I then would vote for the singular “hub” in that sentence: “The provinces of Iloilo and Guimaras are setting their sights on becoming the next big investment hub of the Philippines.”

As to the matter of the Philippines having multiple investment hubs, Max, I can tell foreigners who ask that it does. It actually has several, and Iloilo and Guimaras are just among the latest aiming to become one.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »
A top story from a Manila Times internet edition:

President visits Manalo’s wake

President Gloria Arroyo on Wednesday night went to the wake of the late Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) executive minister and supreme leader Eraño Manalo immediately upon her arrival from a visit to Libya.

In a statement upon her 8:55 p.m. arrival at the Centennial Terminal 2 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Pasay City, the President expressed her grief over the demise of Manalo.

The President said that the demise of the leader of the Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ) was not only a loss to INC but to the whole Filipino nation.

She spent around half an hour conversing with Manalo’s son and successor, Eduardo Manalo, at the INC Central Temple on Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.
-- Angelo S. Samonte

Talk about padding!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:55:19 PM »
Max, I'm sorry that I can't venture into a critique of the information content or story development of particular journalistic materials. That would be beyond the intended scope of this Forum. I would rather that we stick to English grammar and usage.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:31:33 AM »
"...I started this media English-usage watch in mid-June of 2009 to encourage the national newspapers and TV networks to be much more vigilant with their English, whether in  writing or editing their stories or when enunciating them during broadcasts...".

Writings in English (or in any language) can be grammatically perfect but still be considered "bad".   This is why we have editors (and fearless critics).

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »
"...I started this media English-usage watch in mid-June of 2009 to encourage the national newspapers and TV networks to be much more vigilant with their English, whether in  writing or editing their stories or when enunciating them during broadcasts...".

Writings in English (or in any language) can be grammatically perfect but still be considered "bad".   This is why we have editors (and fearless critics).

Oh, Max, how right you are! We actually swim in an ocean of sometimes grammatically perfect but semantically or stylistically flawed or downright awful English prose—in academe, in newspapers and magazines, in textbooks or reference books, in advertising, in posters, and in our various other forms of public communication. And yes, that’s why we have editors to clean up the daily morass and detritus of grammatically errant or illogical English that have to go to print daily. My lifework, in fact, has been largely devoted to this task, but I’m not complaining. It’s a viable source of livelihood and I have come to like it. But I can’t take on the whole caboodle of the world’s English problem, Max; I can’t rectify the bad grammar and usage of every news item, feature story, column, or editorial churned out by the print media every day of my life. I can only do so much, one grammar or semantic or structural error at a time.

And as to being a critic of English usage, Max, I’m not exactly fearless. Fearlessness is only for heroes and fools, and I’m neither. Indeed, at one time, when I as much as corrected a single wrong preposition in the editorial of a magazine I had been contracted to copyedit, the editor in chief glowered at me and witheringly said, mixing English with the vernacular, “Hayaan mo na ang literary license ko!” In straight English, “Leave my literary license alone!” I froze—then decided to leave alone not only his literary license but the copyediting job for that magazine as well. Some things—even grammar-perfect English—are just not worth violently fighting for, Max; they should only be pursued as an unrelenting but peaceable and quiet advocacy.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »
"...Some things—even grammar-perfect English—are just not worth violently fighting for, Max; they should only be pursued as an unrelenting but peaceable and quiet advocacy..."

Exactly, which is what I thought you are all about.   Anyway, I cannot imagine any journo on The Times (which, I note, runs an English language institute) not reading this forum, in which case, the writer of the article in question may have got the point.    :)

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
So why don't you, Max, "dissect" or analyze in detail that "nice" article? Students like me are waiting. I can see about ten expressions in need of editing  ::). Unfortunately, I am not expert to bravely discuss my thought here. Oh, yes, thanks to all you guys! It's September, so I'll be back to my Grammar Study wishing the classes would be a lot more interesting this time. I have never enjoyed Grammar...until this forum came into being ;D.

Sir Joe, what are the differences between journalistic writing and literary writing? (Ulp, do I have to go back to college?) When are they applied and in what articles? I have seen some local government websites using so many hyperboles and superfluous adjectives. Do we call their attention? I happen to know one of the writers in a town's website, but I don't know if it is right to comment on the tone and style of the articles.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
Sir Joe, what are the differences between journalistic writing and literary writing? (Ulp, do I have to go back to college?) When are they applied and in what articles? I have seen some local government websites using so many hyperboles and superfluous adjectives. Do we call their attention? I happen to know one of the writers in a town's website, but I don't know if it is right to comment on the tone and style of the articles.

You asked me a tough but very interesting question. My first instinct is to just invoke the old adage, “Journalism is literature in a hurry,” and be done with the subject, but I realize that that’s taking the line of least resistance—a cop out, so to speak. So here goes:

To understand the differences between journalistic writing and literary writing, we obviously need to define each of them first. The best definition I can find of journalism in the context of your question is definition 2b of my digital Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary, which is that journalism is “writing characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events without an attempt at interpretation.” As we know, of course, this definition is rather limiting, for it excludes the many opinionated or interpretative aspects that have become a staple feature of modern journalism, such as editorials, opinion columns, reader feedback, feature stories, interpretative enterprise stories, and advertorials. Still, for the moment, it would be conceptually helpful to ignore the qualifying phrase “without an attempt at interpretation” in that definition and just embrace the part that says journalism is “writing characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events.”

On the other hand, literary writing or literature, also according to my Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate in definition 3a (1) of the term, means “writings in prose or verse; especially…writings having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest.” The implication of this definition is obviously that literature consists of ideas that are better thought out, better expressed, better composed, and better styled—in short, much more felicitously written—than the usual news reports and feature stories relentlessly churned out by journalists. I think that this implication is well-founded, if only for the fact that most literary writing is produced with much longer time-frames than the typical reportage for daily newspapers or weekly magazines.

Of course, one major difference usually invoked when journalism is compared to literature is the supposed objectivity of the former. The romantic and naïve notion is that journalism is—and needs to be—objective, unbiased, and truthful, while literature is by nature highly personal and subjective, written with an inherent personal bias, and not duty-bound or expected to observe the usual norms for truthfulness. This distinction seems to me untenable, though. For good or bad, journalism will always have an inherent bias based on its editorial policy or the vested interests of its publisher and the journalistic practitioners under his or her fold. To remain credible and sustainable, however, journalism in a democratic society needs to maintain a façade of objectivity by either working hard to achieve at least a modicum it or by making ritual noises about it.

But what I believe is the most important distinction between journalism and literary writing is the level of creativity required to produce them. Journalism is essentially reportage or the gathering, verification, and writing of information for short-term consumption; literary writing, on the other hand, is creative writing, or writing for the long term whose purpose is primarily to express thoughts, feelings, and emotions rather than to simply convey information. Obviously, literary writing demands a much higher level of creativity than journalism, but it’s a fact that many literary writers—or at least aspiring literary writers—grow their wings in writing via the journalism route. Journalism gives them great room for observing the world and for honing their writing skills. Of course, those who have real writing talent sooner or later grow wings big and powerful enough to fly away from journalism onwards to a successful literary career.   

Now, on the practical matter of your seeing some websites with articles that use “so many hyperboles and superfluous adjectives,” it’s possible that those articles were written by aspiring young literary writers still doing journalism to get a better grasp of the writing craft, or perhaps by old-time journalists who have gotten used to using big words to compensate for the inadequacy of their talent for producing passable literary work. Either way, however, they need to get rid of those hyperboles and superfluous adjectives, for neither good journalism nor great literature needs them. Let’s just hope they’d soon discover that plain and simple English is good enough for both.   

Do we call their attention to their florid writing every time? I think that would be bad form. Let their publishers and their editors do that.