Author Topic: The correct way to construct inverted sentences  (Read 11518 times)

instantresearcher

• Initiate
    • View Profile
The correct way to construct inverted sentences
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
Hi! Desperate for a reliable source (since I couldn't get anything sensible from any other website), here I am. =) My boss gave me this sentence:

"Everybody wishes to be in London now."

and asked me which one's the correct inverted form of it:

A) Wishing to be in London now, is everyone.
B) To be in London now is everybody's wish.

I told her that the first one sounds a little awkward so I'd go for the second one... but then she wanted a concrete rule in syntax to back-up my answer...so... could you help me with this one,  please? Really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The correct way to construct inverted sentences
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
You’re right. Sentence B, “To be in London now is everybody’s wish,” is the correct inverted form of “Everybody wishes to be in London now.”

Sentence B is an inverted sentence that uses an infinitive phrase as frontline complement to give the sentence a stronger sense of immediacy. The infinitive phrase in this particular case is, of course, “to be in London now,” which functions as a noun form—hence as the subject of the sentence. In the normal subject-verb/complement construction, “Everybody wishes to be in London now,” the subject (and doer of the action) is the noun “everybody,” the verb is “wishes,” and the infinitive phrase “to be in London now” is its adverbial complement that also functions as its direct object (one that answers the question “What was wished for?”)

Putting the sentence complement up front in this way is one of the simplest and most common ways of achieving emphasis through inversion. Here, as excerpted from my book Give Your English the Winning Edge, are several other ways of inverting sentences to make them more emphatic:

Prepositional phrase as frontline complement:Beside the martyr’s grave the widow knelt and wept.” This inverted C-S-V sentence powerfully conveys emotion, while its S-V/C construction comes comparatively flat: “The widow knelt and wept beside the martyr’s grave.”

Time of occurrence as frontline complement:At exactly 8:15 a.m. he fell from the volley of the dictator’s firing squad.” This inverted sentence has an ever so subtle emotional tug, while its S-V/C construction hardly has any: “He fell from the volley of the dictator’s firing squad at exactly 8:15 a.m.”

Locational phrase as frontline complement:Fifteen blocks later she realized she was hopelessly lost.” This inverted sentence conveys heightened feeling, while its S-V/C form is decidedly deadpan: “She realized she was hopelessly lost 15 blocks later.”

To express highly emotional states like pleasure, passion, frustration, disgust, and anger as well as fierce advocacy and deeply held belief, the following much deeper inversion schemes can be used:

Frontlining negative adverbs for emphasis:Never in my time have I seen such a spectacular display of ignorance!” This is obviously much more emphatic than its S-V/C version, “I have never seen such a spectacular display of ignorance in my time,” thus truly meriting the exclamation mark.

Deep C-S-V inversion for emphasis:Four times I read the book before I could put it down.” Its S-V/C pattern is much less compelling: “I was able to put the book down only after reading it four times.”

Fronting a noun or adjective complement for emphasis: “‘Precious’ is the word that I use to describe/all the feelings I have for you deep down inside.” These lyrics of the old song are, of course, an inversion of this longwinded, confusing S-V/C sentence: “The word that I use to describe all the feelings I have for you deep down inside is ‘precious.’”

Extraposition of a relative clause for rhetorical purposes: “A woman came in who had nine toddlers and a solitary goat in tow.” Here’s its normal S-V/C form: “A woman who had nine toddlers and a solitary goat in tow came in.” By delivering the verb “came” much earlier, the inverted sentence reads much better both silently and aloud. This extraposition is thus very useful to spoken narratives and speeches.

Infinitive phrase as frontline complement:To those who know her Carol is the epitome of success.” The sense of immediacy of this inverted sentence (without a comma before “Carol”) is much greater than that of its S-V/C pattern: “Carol is the epitome of success to those who know her.”

Inversion is such an important and powerful tool in exposition that I have devoted four chapters to it in Give Your English the Winning Edge. Click this link to the book’s Table of Contents for the various aspects of inversion taken up in those chapters.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:51:04 AM by Joe Carillo »

instantresearcher

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »
Thank you so much!! but in case she insists on the first one, asking what's wrong with it, what's the best explanation I can give her? (aside from the idea of emphasis) Again, thanks a lot! will definitely convince her to get a copy of your books for future reference. Thanks!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »
You may explain to your boss that the sentence “Wishing to be in London now, is everyone” is a grammatically faulty inversion of “Everybody wishes to be in London now” for the following reasons:

1. In “Wishing to be in London now, is everyone,” the phrase “wishing to be in London now” is a gerund phrase—hence a noun form—that’s being wrongly forced to be the subject of sentence where the complement, “everyone,”  is an indeterminate personal pronoun whose antecedent is that gerund phrase. We thus have an absurd sentence construction of this form: “ abstract noun + linking verb (“is”) + personal pronoun whose antecedent is that subject noun.” The sentence will make sense and become logical if modified to this other form: “To be in London now is everyone’s wish.” This time, the infinitive phrase “to be in London now”—which functions as a noun—is the subject of the sentence, linked by the verb “is” to the complement “everyone’s wish,” which functions as a legitimate noun predicate—a modifier—of the sentence.

2. The presence of the comma in “Wishing to be in London now, is everyone” is a faulty form of punctuation, one that truncates the sentence and makes it nonsensical. Such kind of punctuation is simply not done in English.

3. The form “Wishing to be in London now, is everyone” is bad syntax. Even if it somehow the idea can be understood by inference, to speak in that way is to fumble with the language—indeed, to sound like a nonnative English speaker who hasn’t adequately learned yet how to construct an English sentence in a grammatically correct way.

instantresearcher

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
Thank you so so much!! More power to you! (more books to come!) =)