Author Topic: An infinitive next to an adjective.  (Read 13431 times)

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
An infinitive next to an adjective.
« on: July 15, 2012, 12:45:57 AM »
Sorry if you find me pestering because of my frequent posting of questions. My question today is what is the job the infinitive 'to talk' doing in the sentence ''I'm pleased to talk to you'' All I know about infinitives is that they are verbals (or non-finite verbs) and in constructions can serve as adjectives, adverbs, or nouns. Perhaps you might agree with me that 'to talk' in the sentence I've given does not serve any purpose close to an adjective or an adverb or a noun. So what is the grammar job achieved by an infinitive when it's placed next to an adjective?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:44:29 AM by Mwita Chacha »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: An infinitive next to an adjective.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:54:18 AM »
You need not apologize for frequently asking questions in the Forum, Mwita. It’s what this Forum is meant for. So long as the questions are sensible and relevant, I’ll always find time to attempt to answer them.

So what’s the infinitive “to talk” doing in this sentence: “I’m pleased to talk to you”?

I don’t think “to talk” is functioning as an infinitive in that sentence. It certainly couldn’t be the direct object of the verb “pleased” because it doesn’t receive the action of that verb. This being the case, it couldn’t be a noun form—definitely not an infinitive—in that sentence construction.

So what could “to talk” be then?

I think the whole of “to talk to you” is an infinitive phrase that acts as an adverbial modifier of the clause “I’m pleased.” Also, I don’t think “pleased” is an adjective in that clause; it’s an intransitive verb helped by the auxiliary verb “am.” The sentence “I’m pleased to talk to you” therefore isn’t a construction where an infinitive is placed next to an adjective. Rather, it’s of the form “subject (‘I’) + auxiliary verb (‘am’) + main verb (‘pleased’) + adverbial modifier (‘to talk to you’).”

In contrast, here’s a construction where an infinitive is placed next to an adjective: “It’s nice to talk to you.” This, of course, is of the form “subject (‘It’) + linking verb (‘is’) + adjective (‘nice’) + infinitive phrase (‘to talk to you’).” Note that in this construction, the infinitive phrase “to talk to you” (although functioning as a noun form or verbal this time) likewise functions as an adverbial modifier, not as a direct object.

P.S. Correction:
The term “infinitive phrase” in the the first sentence of the 5th paragraph above should read as "prepositional phrase" instead, as follows:

“I think the whole of ‘to talk to you’ is a prepositional phrase that acts as an adverbial modifier of the clause ‘I’m pleased.’”

My apologies for the proofreading error.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:39:18 PM by Joe Carillo »

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
I'm afrad but, for two major reasons, I've some misgivings concerning your explanation in response to my question.
First, I am relatively opposed to your argument that the phrase to 'talk to you' in my sentence ''I am pleased to talk to you'' is an adverbial modifier, not an infinitive phrase. Unless you set out to teach me that infinitives are no longer formed by the combination of 'verbs' and a  particle 'to,' I don't see how can I see it as not an infinitive the phrase 'to talk to you' in that sentence. About it, you also argue that 'pleased' isn't an adjective but  an intransitive verb. Do we really in grammar have intransitive verbs in passive forms?
Second, I observe the sentence ''It's nice to talk to you,'' you've given as a legitimate example of constructions having infinitives next to adjectives, itself not qualifying to be so. To my mind, it's a sentence that uses an infinitive phrase as an appositive of the pronoun 'it.' Here is how I would change the position of the infinitive phrase without wrecking the original meaning of the construction: ''It, to talk to you, is nice,'' which has the appositive interrupting the flow of the sentence and ''To talk to you is nice,'' which do away with the pronoun 'it.'
Finally,whether the observations I've given above hold water or not, I would also like to follow up my original question with the seemingly well-founded example of the construction that has an infinitive following an adjective. The sentence is ''He was hesitant to allow his child going swimming,'' and I now hope this one is very much consistent with my question.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:19:52 PM by Mwita Chacha »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
You have a point in your objection. I’m afraid that a proofreading error in my reply to your posting must have confused you. The term “infinitive phrase” should have read “prepositional phrase” instead in this sentence in my reply: “I think the whole of ‘to talk to you’ is an infinitive phrase that acts as an adverbial modifier of the clause ‘I’m pleased.’” Here’s that statement as corrected: “I think the whole of ‘to talk to you’ is a prepositional phrase that acts as an adverbial modifier of the clause “I’m pleased.’” That said, I stand pat on my grammatical analysis.

I’m posting this correction right now to clarify matters about that statement, which I intend to correct in that posting itself right after this so it won’t confuse other Forum members and guests. After that, I’ll give a detailed answer to the points you raised in your rejoinder.

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
Even after you've made some corrections on your specifications, it still doesn't register in my brain that 'am pleased' in ''I am pleased to talk to you'' is a verb phrase. Indeed, my stance that 'pleased' isn't a verb but an adjective is also supported by your answer to the question I posted in the Forum Tuesday headed ''an auxillary or a linking verb.''
Additionally, I deem 'to talk to you' not qualifying to be a prepositial phrase in all respects. This is because a conventional prepositional phrase is formed by a preposition and a noun put together, and I don't think 'talk' is acting as a noun in the phrase 'to talk to you.' The sole genuine prepositional phrase in 'to talk to you' is, of course, 'to you,' which, in the sentence, acts as an adverbial modifier for the verb talk.
So I must say confusion, rather than clearness, has kept on piling on my mind.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »
What we have here is admittedly a tough grammar issue to crack, so it’s best to keep an open mind about it until the grammar elements involved are fully clarified and their relationships to one another fully understood.

Let me begin by saying that not all base verbs preceded by “to” are infinitives.

By definition, an infinitive is a verb form normally identical in English with the first person singular that performs some functions of a noun and at the same time displays some characteristics of a verb and that is used with to (as in “I asked him to go”) except with auxiliary and various other verbs (as in “no one saw him leave”). (Definition by Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary)

The verb forms in the following sentences are infinitives or infinitive phrases based on that definition:

1. “To forgive is divine.” (The infinitive “to forgive” is the subject)
2. “She hated to play the violin.” (The infinitive phrase “to play the violin” is the direct object)
3. “I find it delightful to play the violin.” (The infinitive phrase “to play the violin” is an adverbial modifier)

In contrast, the “to + base verb + modifier” forms in the following sentences are prepositional phrases:

1. “She is pleased to play the violin.” (The prepositional phrase “to play the violin” is an adverbial modifier of the adjective “pleased”)
2. “She went to see the school principal.” (The prepositional phrase “to play the violin” is an adverbial modifier of the verb “went”)

Now, regarding this statement of yours: “About it, you also argue that ‘pleased’ isn’t an adjective but an intransitive verb. In grammar, do we really have intransitive verbs in passive forms?”

Yes, the word “pleased” is an intransitive verb in the passive form in the following sentence: “I’m pleased to talk to you.” This is because the subject of the sentence is the receiver of the action of the verb, not its doer. The verb “please” would be transitive in the following active-voice sentence where the subject, the infinitive phrase “to talk to you,” is the doer of the action: “To talk to you pleases me.” It is also transitive in the active-voice sentence “She pleases me greatly,” where the subject is the pronoun “she.”

Regarding this observation of yours: “Second, I observe that in the sentence ‘It’s nice to talk to you,’ you’ve given as a legitimate example of constructions having infinitives next to adjectives, itself not qualifying to be so. To my mind, it’s a sentence that uses an infinitive phrase as an appositive of the pronoun ‘it.’ Here is how I would change the position of the infinitive phrase without wrecking the original meaning of the construction: ‘It, to talk to you, is nice,’' which has the appositive interrupting the flow of the sentence and ‘To talk to you is nice,’ which do away with the pronoun ‘it.’”

I’m afraid that in the sentence “It’s nice to talk to you,” it’s grammatically incorrect to think of the word “it” as the appositive of the phrase “to talk to you,” which you consider an infinitive phrase or a noun form—which it actually isn’t. In that construction, “it” is actually an expletive, which functions as an anticipatory or dummy subject—a grammatical device—that shifts emphasis to a part of the statement other than the subject; the expletive is not to be taken as a pronoun because it has no antecedent noun and actually has little or no meaning by itself. (Click this link to About.com for a concise explanation of the expletives ‘it’ and ‘there.’) This being the case, it doesn’t serve as an appositive of anything in that sentence (Click to “How appositives can give life and texture to writing” in the Forum). As to the phrase “to talk to you,” based on the clarifications I made earlier, it’s not an infinitive phrase but a prepositional phrase of the form “preposition (‘to’) + verb (‘talk’) + preposition (‘to’) + object of the preposition (‘you’), functioning as an adverbial modifier of the adjective “nice.”

Finally, in the sentence “He was hesitant to allow his child going swimming,” the phrase “to allow his child going swimming” is definitely not an infinitive phrase but a prepositional phrase functioning as adverbial modifier of the adjective “hesitant.” Observe that the phrase in question doesn’t function as a direct object of the verb “hesitant”; if it did, that would have been telltale proof that it is an infinitive phrase. What we have here is a prepositional phrase of the form “preposition (‘to’) + base form of the verb (‘allow’) + direct object (“his child’) + gerund phrase as noun complement (‘going swimming’).”

I hope this further explanation has thrown more light into the discussion.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:16:05 PM by Joe Carillo »

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:53 AM »
I think I will get to understand this slowly with time, as learning is an ongoing, step-by-step process.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:34:46 AM by Joe Carillo »