Author Topic: When to use "have had" ?  (Read 20955 times)

chiropractornorthsydney

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Chiropractor St Leonards
    • Email
When to use "have had" ?
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »
I was confuse about using had and have had. Can you explain it to me and please give a concrete example. Thank you.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When to use "have had" ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:59 AM »
"Had" is the past tense form of "have" in the sense of to hold or maintain as a possession, privilege, or entitlement. Example: "I had the money yesterday."

Also, "had" functions as a verbal auxiliary which, together with with the past participle of a verb, forms the present perfect, past perfect, or future perfect tense. "Have had" is used to form the future perfect form of a verb, as in this sentence: "I will have had eaten by the time she arrives."

chiropractornorthsydney

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Chiropractor St Leonards
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:07:11 AM »
Oh, thank you.

ricesam94

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »
thank you... great information, i was confused as well but now i know :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:18:26 PM by Joe Carillo »

squelch

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »
^how about for have/had + past tense ?
how do they differ ?

MindTheGap

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
The same goes with, "did have" and not "did had".

Medinotes

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
"Have had" is used to form the future perfect form of a verb, as in this sentence: "I will have had eaten by the time she arrives."

romnickhudges

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - romnickhudges@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - romnickhudges
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - romnickhudges
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bookgator.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »
It's really nice to play with words as well as some simple sentences. I still have doubts in myself when using some form of sentences although I'm quite good enough I guess, but still needs to improve more.

DaveBox

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
"Have had" is used to form the future perfect form of a verb, as in this sentence: "I will have had eaten by the time she arrives."

Erm this is not a great example. The 'had' in your sentence is unnecessary. You would actually say "I will have eaten by the time she arrives."
Never going back to my old bed after buying a  Sleep Innovations memory foam mattress

jinajhon

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »
УАУ! Коля - просто фантастические результаты! Впрочем, и собака-то великолепная!

thanks for sharing.

Luxury apartment rentals

CamKrist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:30 PM »
I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.
Don't waste your time if you want to find excellent term papers writing service, order here http://marvelousessays.co.uk

tomsay

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »
Wow! I've learned some things here. I'm new here. I'll be back reading some comments and somehow get some ideas. I still get confused though. Thanks guys. Boyfriend Substitute T-Shirt

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »
Are you not going to reply to DaveBox's (correct) criticism of "...will have had eaten...."?

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
Are you not going to reply to DaveBox's (correct) criticism of "...will have had eaten...."?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
Thanks for ferreting out DaveBox’s posting in the Forum that I have missed answering for almost four months. I sometimes overlook some short postings that tend to get buried in a flurry of longer ones, and I would like to apologize for that.

You contend that DaveBox’s criticism of the future perfect usage in following sentence is correct: “I will have had eaten by the time she arrives.” He says that the “had” in the form “will have had eaten” is unnecessary, so he would rather that the sentence be constructed this way: “I will have eaten by the time she arrives.”

My own feeling is that your and DaveBox’s suggested form knocking off “had” would be the right form of the future perfect if the time marker is changed from “by the time” to “when,” as follows: “I will have eaten when she arrives.” The sense would then be that the speaker will have finished eating shortly before or right at the moment of the woman’s arrival. On the other hand, in the construction “I will have had eaten by the time she arrives,” the sense is that the speaker will have finished eating long before the woman’s expected arrival. In other words, we are dealing here with two slightly different senses of the future perfect, both of which are correct depending on what’s on the mind of the speaker.

These two variations of the future perfect are actually the bone of contention in a very interesting discussion thread in the Language Log, where the similar form “will have had gone” as used in the following sentences is debated:

“I’m hoping someone will have had gone through a similar situation and will have some good words of advice for you.”

“A very large percentage of my viewers reading this will have had gone through an experience where they had to go through sending in mail in rebates to get a substantial discount.

“If not for your witty remarks I will have had gone insane.”

“These wealthy men will have had gone to school and have a steady job.”

The matter is also taken up separately in a discussion thread in LanguageHat.com. I suggest you read both discussion threads to get a much better sense of the distinction between the two forms of the future perfect that are at issue here.