Author Topic: Singular Vs Plural; Gerunds vs Regular Nouns  (Read 7065 times)

English Maiden

• View Profile
Singular Vs Plural; Gerunds vs Regular Nouns
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:02 PM »
Sir, could you tell me which of the two sentences in each set below is the correct one and why? The context for each set is also given.

(Context: I am a marriage counselor speaking before married couples)
"You husbands should, from time to time, give gifts to your wives.
"You husbands should, from time to time, give gifts to your wife.

(Context: I'm the class president and am speaking before my class)
"Everyone should surrender their cellphones before going inside the theater."
"Everyone should surrender their cellphone before going inside the theater."

I realize that I have already asked a similar question before, but what I'm trying to say here is that I'm still having so much trouble deciding whether to use the singular or plural forms of the nouns I highlighted in the sentences I presented. I feel I should use the plural because I'm not just talking about one husband or one cellphone. I'm actually talking about, in my 1st set of sentences, all the wives of all the husbands I'm speaking to, and in my 2nd set, all the cellphones of everyone in my class. And deciding gets even more difficult for me when epressing general ideas. For example, should I say "People who don't have jobs are but lazy people," or should I use the singular job instead and say "People who don't have a job are but lazy people"? Here are other examples:

"All my friends have successful careers" or "All my friends have a successful career"
"I get uncomfortable around people with strong personalities" or "I get uncomfortable around people with a strong personality"

I must admit that I am more accustomed to using the plural forms of the nouns that act as objects (or will "act as an object" do?) of a preposition (or should it be "of prepositions" instead?) for these types of sentences. This is a serious problem to me, and I'm hoping you can clear everything up for me. Also, sir, when a gerund and a regular noun seem like they can both be used as an adjective to describe another noun, which one should one prefer?

swim trunks or swimming trunks
work experience or working eperience
sleep pattern or sleeping pattern
dance partner or dancing partner

Sorry for asking too many questions in one post. I look forward to your answers and eplanations. Thanks so much in advance!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Singular Vs Plural; Gerunds vs Regular Nouns
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »
I’m afraid that none of the sentences in these two sets you presented is grammatically and notionally correct:

A. Context: I’m a marriage counselor speaking before married couples.
(1) “You husbands should, from time to time, give gifts to your wives.
(2) “You husbands should, from time to time, give gifts to your wife.

B. Context: I’m the class president and am speaking before my class.
(1) “Everyone should surrender their cellphones before going inside the theater.”
(2) “Everyone should surrender their cellphone before going inside the theater.”

There’s always a strong temptation to evaluate flawed constructions like the above in terms of one-on-one correspondence between the number (whether singular or plural) of antecedent nouns and their subsequent possessives, but such evaluations are bound to fail because of certain intractable peculiarities of English with respect to the possessives and to indefinite pronouns like “everyone” and “everybody.” As we know, the pronoun “you” and the possessive “your” can be either singular or plural depending on the intended sense, and the indefinite pronouns “everyone” and “everybody” are grammatically singular but notionally plural and genderless as well. For this reason, as you yourself have found out and explained, the four sentence constructions you presented above will very often be grammatically and notionally suspect because of their inherent semantic contradictions.

When confronted with such semantic contradictions that could confuse the reader or listener, you should immediately reconstruct your sentences at the very moment of writing to make their grammar and logic unassailable. Don’t pass on the problem to your prospective readers or listeners. You shouldn’t put yourself in the situation of being criticized for shoddy, not-well-thought-out sentence constructions.

To get rid of the grammatical and semantic contradictions in the four sentences you presented, I would recommend the following reconstructions:

A. Context: I’m a marriage counselor speaking before married couples.
(3) “To each of you husbands here, here’s my advice: Give gifts to your wife from time to time.”

B. Context: I’m the class president and am speaking before my class.
(3) “Please surrender your cellphone before going inside the theater.”
or, even simpler and less intimidating:
(4) “Please leave your cellphone here before going inside the theater.”

In English as in most everything in life, avoidance of trouble at the very outset is the best policy.

Now, to your last question: When a gerund and a regular noun seem like they can both be used as an adjective to describe another noun, which one should one prefer?

My advice is to use the conventionally accepted form. In the four sets of choices you presented, the conventional usage is as follows:

“swim trunks” or “swimming trunks” – swimming trunks
“work experience” or “working experience” – “work experience”
“sleep pattern” or “sleeping pattern” – “sleeping pattern”
“dance partner” or “dancing partner” – “dancing partner"

When in doubt, follow your instinct. Hardly anybody will take issue with you on this anyway except a terribly grumpy, hidebound English grammar teacher.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:18:58 AM by Joe Carillo »