Author Topic: A questionable line from a famous song  (Read 13188 times)

English Maiden

• View Profile
A questionable line from a famous song
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
Hi, sir!
I've always wondered if this line in a well known song is grammatically wrong: "All I hear IS raindrops falling on the rooftop." That the noun (raindrops) that follows the verb "is" in that line is plural makes me doubt the correctness of it. Could it be that the correct way to put that sentence is by changing the singular verb "is" to the plural "are," as in this revised version?
"All I hear ARE raindrops."
I also face the same issue with the pronoun "what." Oftentimes I am unsure whether I should use a singular or plural noun with it. For example, should I say "What I enjoy watching most IS horror movies." or "What I enjoy watching most ARE horror movies."? Are both examples correct? If yes, is there any difference between them? If not, why is one correct and the other wrong? I look forward to your reply. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:04:06 PM by English Maiden »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A questionable line from a famous song
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
Again, sorry for this delayed reply. As in the case of another posting of yours, this one got buried in the huge volume of postings in this discussion board in early March.

Strictly speaking, there’s a subject-verb disagreement in this song lyric: “All I hear is raindrops falling on the rooftop.” The linking verb should take the plural form “are” because it refers to both the notionally plural pronoun “all” as subject and the plural noun “raindrops” in the predicate, so the sentence should read as follows: “All I hear are raindrops falling on the rooftop.” That this should be the case can easily be checked by putting the sentence in this inverted form: “Raindrops falling on the rooftop are all I hear.” In this construction, it’s pretty obvious that the subject of the sentence is the noun phrase “raindrops falling on the rooftop,” where the head noun “raindrops” is no doubt plural, thus requiring the linking verb to be in the plural form “are.”

Having said that, however, I must acknowledge that the line in question is part of the lyrics of the song by Bythwood Dinavon/Tamia’s “Officially Missing You,” the first few lines of which are as follows:

All I hear is raindrops
Falling on the rooftop
Oh baby tell me why’d you have to go
Cause this pain I feel
It won’t go away
And today I’m officially missing you…

As we know, song lyric writers—like poets—sometimes need to take liberties with words and the language itself to achieve the tonality, cadence, and number of syllables they need for the lyrics of a song. For this purpose, society grants them the so-called literary license in recognition of their status as creative members of society. It’s a license that allows them to take minor liberties with language for creativity’s sake, the better to make their creative works aesthetically enjoyable and the better to entertain us. There is therefore no point in quibbling with the grammar violations that they occasionally are forced to commit for the sake of creativity and euphony.

English Maiden

• View Profile
Re: A questionable line from a famous song
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
OK, thanks for your explanation, sir. I figured that too, and initially thought that the lyric was wrong. But, I just realized that as a pronoun, "all" can also mean "everything," as in "All is fine now." So, I'm thinking that if that's the meaning the writer of the song intended, then the line is grammatically correct because if we replace "all" with "everything" then the verb "is" now perfectly agrees in number with the pronoun, as in this version: "Everything I hear is raindrops." Am I right in thinking this, sir? I'd appreciate any correction you may have. Thanks again for your reply!