Author Topic: A lowdown for the quality of teaching in both Ateneo and UP  (Read 9023 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
A communications executive working with a government corporation e-mailed me this feedback today about the news headlined “4 Philippine universities remain among top 200 Asian schools”:

“Dear Mr. Carillo,

“My daughter told me a few days ago that Ateneo (where she graduated) outranked UP in the list of the top 200 schools and that her school was the highest ranking Philippine school. This made us both quite happy. She almost enrolled in UP, but that was the summer Popoy Lagman got shot at the Alumni Center.

“When I asked her what Ateneo’s rank was, we both sobered up. For the country’s top-ranked school to be number 58 among schools from around 10 countries should be a wake up call for our educators.”

What gives?

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: A lowdown for the quality of teaching in both Ateneo and UP
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
On a somewhat divergent note, we are still waiting for Hill Roberts's report on the number of schools built during GMA's stewardship.......

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
H'mmm...still no report.    I wonder why?

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
Hi, maxsims, you can find it in the "Lounge Section" since that's where the IT article was shown. No, I'm not derelict in my duty as a Forum member and citizen. ;D 8)

florlaca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
About university rankings, the most respected ranking for comparing academic performance is the Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Unlike the QS Ranking, where Ateneo ranks higher than UP and uses expert opinion (50%) and capability indicators (30%) such as faculty-student ratio, the ARWU uses only objective, academic, and research performance indicators. Here, no university from the Philippines has yet made the Asia Pacific’s first 100 or the world’s top 500.

Note that QS Ranking methodology uses non-performance indicators (expert opinion and faculty-student ratio, etc.) that do not measure performance; whereas, ARWU ranking gives actual measures of performance. If any Philippine university will make it in this ranking, UP will be the first.

The number of UP’s scholarly publications covering all fields was 40 percent of the national total in 2002. On the other hand, the combined publication output of La Salle, Ateneo, UST, and San Carlos in 2002 was only 8 percent of the national total. See full report at Celebrating the UP Centennial (Section 9. Renaissance).

http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2009.jsp

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/methodology/simple-overview

http://www.bahaykuboresearch.net/index.php?module=article&view=52

florlaca

ldgreen124

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
The main problem to the education in the Philippines is that it is not updated. Although some of the information are revised, the instructor still teach the old ones.

fxmate

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
 :)

lisawinkler

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The World News
    • Email