Author Topic: As a writer, how do I improve my English grammar?  (Read 7040 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
As a writer, how do I improve my English grammar?
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
E-mail from JC, a Filipino freelance writer based in New Zealand (December 21, 2011):

I’m most thankful to you for sharing your knowledge about English grammar through your Forum. You’re helping me a lot. How I wish I could be as good as you! I’m a writer who’s always struggling with grammar. I have left my university job at the Central Philippine University for a freelance adventure here in New Zealand.

If I may ask, how do I improve my English grammar? What are your suggestions—apart, of course, from browsing your English-usage website and learning from it? Would going back to university for formal study help?

Merry Christmas!

My reply to JC:

Merry Christmas, too, JC! I hope your New Zealand adventure is proving to be a great and rewarding experience for you!

You ask how you might be able to improve your English grammar. May I suggest that you widen this objective to include English usage, meaning not just observance of grammar rules but the use of the language itself? And since you are a writer, I think you should specifically aim to make yourself a better, more readable writer in English.

To be a good writer, you need to have a respectably wide English vocabulary. As the Austrian philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein said about language, the limits of our language are the limits of our mind, and all we really know is what we have words for. You need not attempt to memorize the entire 750,000-word English lexicon, though; just make it a point to continually enrich your vocabulary with words or idioms that your target readers can easily understand. And each time you encounter a new word or idiom in your readings, resist the temptation to put off for later finding out precisely what it means. Check out its definitions and usage right away from a respectable dictionary.

Make sure, too, that you are using the right English words. Now that you’re abroad, keep in mind that American English and British English don’t have the same spelling and meanings for a sizeable number of words. In the Philippines where American English is the standard, use as your reference an American-English dictionary like, say, the Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary or the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. But in New Zealand where British English is the standard, get yourself an Oxford English Dictionary. Don’t just wing it with your English words and spelling from now on.

Next, make yourself thoroughly familiar with the various tools of English for putting words together into grammatically and structurally correct, coherent, and clear statements. Don’t be content with just being knowledgeable with the English content words—the nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and interjections. You absolutely need to master the rules for using them, but always remember that they only work as carriers of the meaning that reside in each of them. As important is putting them together with the English function words—the prepositions, the conjunctions, and the conjunctive adverbs. They are the logical operators of the language, and unless you are proficient in using them, you really can’t hope to graduate from jotting down just a few grammar-perfect sentences to writing coherent, logical, and persuasive narratives and expositions that people would want to read and pay for.

Now to your last question: Would going back to the university help to improve your English grammar? I don’t think so, JC. It certainly can broaden your outlook and teach you a respectable profession, vocation, or craft, but I doubt if it can improve your English grammar that much. University study just isn’t designed for that. I really think you’ll be much better off embarking on a purposive, no-nonsense self-study of English grammar and usage and doing lots of writing practice along the way.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:32:41 PM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: As a writer, how do I improve my English grammar?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:04:54 PM »
Rejoinder from JC e-mailed from in New Zealand (December 31, 2011):

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your BIG TIME reply. I really appreciate it and thanks for concealing my full name. Otherwise, I might end up losing some clients...hahaha!

I read what you have posted in The Manila Times and your English Forum. Maraming salamat for taking time to reply and publishing it.

It is also nice to read my original e-mail and your corrected version, learning in the process.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I think why I asked about formal school training for me is that my academic background is Civil Engineering and Theology.

If not for the blogs and online articles that I have published through the Internet, possible clients might have some doubts about my writing ability.

Maybe you could put up an online course “Joe Carillo’s Online English Course” and I would be proud to earn a certificate from you.

Anyway, blessings to you and keep up the good work.

A prosperous New Year to you and your family!

JC

PS.  Please allow me to re-post http://josecarilloforum.com/youasked.html on my blog Online Writing Niche.

My reply to JC:

You’re most welcome, JC! The Forum always makes it a point to protect the privacy of its members and guests when they desire or evidently need it. That way, they don’t have to fear retaliation or retribution when asking questions or making comments pro or con about the English usage of particular individuals or institutions.

I’m afraid I don’t have the time to conduct on online English course on top of running Jose Carillo’s English Forum and writing my weekly “English Plain and Simple” columns for the The Manila Times. That certificate from me therefore won’t be forthcoming so you’ll have to set your sights elsewhere to get one. Meanwhile, I suggest you register as a Forum member and just keep on mining the Forum discussion boards and features for whatever grammar and usage nuggets might prove helpful to you as a professional writer. You’ll also be able to post your questions or comments directly on the Forum discussion boards.

As for that Forum webpage about our e-mail conversation (“As a writer, how do I improve my English grammar?”), go right ahead and post it on your blog.

I wish you a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Sincerely,
Joe Carillo