Author Topic: Another word for still-unresolved  (Read 7126 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Another word for still-unresolved
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
I just wonder if this is now the case.

If you would recall, I had also asked about the phrase yet-unidentified. Isn't the term in question editorializing the situation described below?

Asian shares drifted lower and the euro floundered near an 11-month low after the Federal Reserve failed to take any new steps to stimulate growth and offset the chilling effects of Europe's still-unresolved debt crisis.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another word for still-unresolved
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
No, I don't think the hyphenated modifier "still-unresolved" is editorializing the situation in the following sentence that you presented:

"Asian shares drifted lower and the euro floundered near an 11-month low after the Federal Reserve failed to take any new steps to stimulate growth and offset the chilling effects of Europe's still-unresolved debt crisis."

What that modifier doing is only to indicate that there have been previous efforts to resolve that debt crisis but that it has persisted. It's actually a quick, more concise version of the phrase "Europe's debt crisis that remains unresolved," as in this longer sentence:

"Asian shares drifted lower and the euro floundered near an 11-month low after the Federal Reserve failed to take any new steps to stimulate growth and offset the chilling effects of Europe's debt crisis that remains unresolved."

Isn't it great that in English, hyphenating words in phrases can do that streamlining trick? 

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
Uh, will that always be legitimate?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Hyphenated compound modifiers are desirable when done with restraint and finesse, for they greatly facilitate narrative continuity. This is discussed in an essay I posted in the Forum in September 2010, "Why we need to hyphenate certain compound modifiers." I suggest you check it out for a fuller understanding of the subject.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »
Thank you, Sir!