Author Topic: 33 Modern English Essays  (Read 39090 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
33 Modern English Essays
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:59:59 PM »
If you love reading English essays or are trying your utmost to learn how to write them, what could be a better thing to do than read truly outstanding personal essays by British and American masters of this form of writing? I am therefore calling your attention this week to this forum’s link to Modern Essays, a selection of 33 wide-ranging essays put together by American journalist and novelist Christopher Morley. Morley is the author of more than 100 books of essays, poetry, and novels, including the 1939 novel Kitty Foyle that was later made into an Academy Award-winning movie.

Among the gems you’ll find and enjoy in this selection are “Familiar Preface” by Joseph Conrad, “The Student Life” by William Osler, “A Word for Autumn” by A. A. Milne, “The Elements of Poetry” by George Santayana, “A Free Man’s Worship” by Bertrand Russell, and “Beyond Life” by James Branch Cabell.

To go straight to the selection, click this link now to Modern Essays. Enjoy!

Any thoughts about any or all of these selections of personal essays? Click the Reply button to post those thoughts on Jose Carillo’s English Forum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:32:05 AM by Joe Carillo »

shanerm09

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 33 Modern English Essays
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
I love reading English books especially fiction stories and essay. What is important is that the language displays continuity through the ages. This adds to the interest about the evolution of English as a language.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:04:01 PM by shanerm09 »

shady

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Discount local businesses
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
I agree with you

Nicholastoth

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - louistoth1@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Nicholastoth
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Nicholastoth
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
thanks for sharing the huge list of essay, it really helpful to get idea about different subjects.

shellyoav

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
I love to read English specially if it is an interesting story. I am very much interesting in reading stories. I have so many story books.