Author Topic: Gerund and Participle  (Read 5334 times)

hairstyler

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Gerund and Participle
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
Dear Carillo,

Please help me explain the function of Gerund as a subject complement as follows and take some example:

1) What she is going through is called being in labor.

Please help me clarify if the underlined word is Gerund or Participle.

2) I saw him wearing a red shirt
3) I dislike him/his wearing a red shirt

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gerund and Participle
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
In Sentence #1, “What she is going through is called being in labor,” the gerund phrase “being in labor” is not a subject complement. It’s functioning as an adverbial modifier of the verb “called.”  That gerund phrase will function as a subject complement if the verb “called” is dropped so the sentence will read as follows: “What she is going through is being in labor.” Here, “being in labor” is now a subject complement linked to the subject “what she is going through” (a relative noun clause) by the linking verb “is.”

In Sentence #2, “I saw him wearing a red shirt,” the word “wearing” is neither a gerund nor a participle. It’s the progressive form of the verb “wear,” indicating a continuing past action, and the phrase “wearing a red shirt” functions as an adjective phrase modifying the pronoun “him.”

In Sentence #3, using the pronoun “him” will make the sentence read as follows: “I dislike him wearing a red shirt.” Here, the word “wearing” is the progressive form of the verb “wear,” indicating a continuing past action as in Sentence #2 above; the phrase “wearing a red shirt” is an adjective phrase modifying the pronoun “him.” On the other hand, when the pronoun “his” is used, the sentence will read as follows: “I dislike his wearing a red shirt.” This time, the phrase “his wearing a red shirt” is a gerund phrase that functions as an adverbial modifier of the verb “dislike.”