Author Topic: “3rd place winner” isn't the same as “3rd runner up”  (Read 16327 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
“3rd place winner” isn't the same as “3rd runner up”
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
An American book author whom I’ll identify here only as Bill V. sent me this e-mail yesterday, September 20, 2011:

Dear Mr. Carillo,

I would like to submit to you a topic for your Forum. I am now living in the Philippines with my son and fiancée.

I see this happening all over. I also witness that it is a common error among teachers, who are supposed to be teaching the children of the Philippines.

What I am talking about is the difference between “3rd place winner” and “3rd runner up.”  I see it in all the Miss Fiesta contests all over the country. Now I see the same English teachers saying it about the Miss Universe contest. They are saying the Philippines “took 3rd place.”  I try to explain that Miss Philippines was “3rd runner up” and that means “4th place.” 

Thank you for reading this and God bless.  Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
Bill

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: “3rd place winner” isn't the same as “3rd runner up”
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »
The following comparative ranking chart should help clarify matters for everyone:

COMPARATIVE RANKING CHART

Rank                      Beauty Contest             High School                              College

First Place            Miss Universe             Valedictorian                      Summa cum laude
Second Place        First Runner-up           Salutatorian                       Magna cum laude
Third Place           Second Runner-up       First Honorable Mention        Cum laude
Fourth Place         Third Runner-up          Second Honorable Mention    First Honors
Fifth Place            Fourth Runner-up       Third Honorable Mention        Second Honors