Author Topic: Didn't or did not?  (Read 22615 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Didn't or did not?
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
Is there a 'rule' that favors spelling out didn't in certain compositions?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Didn't or did not?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:05 AM »
No, there’s no rule that favors spelling out the negative verb form “didn’t” in certain compositions. The choice on whether or not to spell it out simply depends on the tone intended by the writer or speaker—the uncontracted “did not” for a formal tone or mood and the contracted “didn’t” for an informal or casual one.

In fiction, conversations obviously will favor using the contracted “didn’t” as this reflects the natural way people speak; indeed, a conversation will sound stilted or unauthentic if the characters spoke using the uncontracted “did not.” About the only time a character may be expected to use the uncontracted “did not” is when he or she is emphasizing or vehemently stating a point, as in “I certainly did not invite that creep to the party!” Also, in fiction, foreigners grappling with English will often be portrayed speaking with uncontracted “did nots.”

Academic writing is normally expected to avoid using “didn’t” as a matter of form. In journalistic reporting, it is obligatory to use the contracted “didn’t” in quoted statements if, in fact, the speaker uttered it that way; a reporter isn’t at liberty to change it to the uncontracted “did not” in the news story.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »
What if it is a content for a website, Sir? And happens not to be a part of a quote, too?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »
Whatever the medium, it’s a judgment call—and often a matter of personal style—whether to use the spelled out “did not” or the contracted “didn’t.” You might have noticed that I favor contractions in my postings in this Forum as well as in my English-usage columns in The Manila Times. I just feel that using contractions makes my postings and columns more conversational and friendly rather than academic-sounding, which is the last thing I would want them to sound like.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »
Last question (pertaining to this matter, at least): Is it a 'fault' to use contracted and uncontracted versions of do, does, and did alternately?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
I would think that it's a sign of inconsistency, something that's to be avoided if you are a professional writer doing nonfiction writing such as journalism and literary criticism. In fiction writing, however, there's a lot of room for variation in using contracted and uncontracted versions of "do," "does," and "did." Obviously, this is because different characters with different personalities will have their own styles of speaking, from extremely formal to excruciatingly formal. To make those characters speak consistently either way might make them not believable. 

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »
Thank you, Sir!