Author Topic: English as universal language  (Read 14251 times)

Justine A.

• View Profile
    • Email
English as universal language
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
What are the reasons why is English considered universal language?Just curious and amazed.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: English as universal language
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »
I can’t answer your question because it’s a loaded one that demands acceptance of a debatable academic premise, which is that English is a universal language. I personally don’t think English is a universal language whether in the literal or figurative sense; to me, it’s a premise that’s in the same league as the rhetorical claim that “mathematics is the universal language” or that “music is the universal language.” All I can tell you without equivocation is that English is a global language in the sense that it has wide currency as today’s dominant language for knowledge acquisition, international business and diplomacy, as well as mass communication and entertainment. I’m afraid that to accept your premise that English is a universal language—or the universal language—and give the reasons to support it would just put me in the position of providing firepower to those who would like to write an academic paper arguing in favor of a premise that I don’t believe in. I’m sorry to say that I’m unwilling to do that in this Forum.

Justine A.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
Admittedly,I have been influenced by the people who continually say English is the universal languange but thank you for your enlightening reply.

arnold2benton

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
People in most of the countries speak English as their first language and similarly education in maximum countries is in English language. So that is why English is accepted as a universal language.

zhikim528

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • r4ds
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »
 English is a global language in the sense that it has wide currency as today’s dominant language for knowledge acquisition. People in most of the countries speak English as their first language, international business and diplomacy, as well as mass communication and entertainment.

AaronRiley

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • weight watchers online coupon
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »
forces 20 , thats a very good Question you had asked I personally to feel why Only English their are so Many Different language , Spoken in the world than Y only English Get the preference, every language has it's own importance and every human being have it right to speak that why the person who Doesn't speak English is treated as a backword one ?????

Can anyone answer this .

susansersi

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »
English you can say as the dominant and most used language all over that is why the English language is used widely...

jamesadam432

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »
English is the world largest language and most of the advancements are done in this language.
majority of the education in various countries is in English .
English is understood by majority of the people so that's why it is called universal language.

Ashcombe

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • auerbachandgussin
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
English is a universal language because it is world wide use and it is the necessity of our daily life.you cant survive in any field without english thats why english is known as universal language

pipesdaddy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Water Pipes for Sale
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
It is well-nigh impossible to survive without English in the present circumstances. As it has become the global medium of expression, people all across the world are leaving no stone unturned to learn the language as it gives them the extra edge.

rogergill345

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »
Admittedly,I have been influenced by those which continually assume English is the common languange however say thanks a ton for the enlightening respond.