Author Topic: How the photoeditors of the three Philippine major newspapers differ  (Read 6817 times)

charlieagatep

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Yesterday, September  1st, 2011, I was reminded about the Power of Visual Images as I compared the front page main photos of the Manila Bulletin, Philippine Star and Philippine Daily Inquirer. Look at them yourselves, do you see what I see?

The Bulletin and Philippine Star displayed exactly the same photos released by Reuters: President Aquino toasts with Chinese President Hu Jintao during a signing ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing Wednesday, August 31, 2011. The Star’s photoeditor did a tighter cropping but both photos are identical.

However, the main photo of the Inquirer is totally different. It is the photo of President Aquino smiling as China's Vice Premier Wang Qishan lays his hands on the President’s shoulders “as though ready to massage them” during the Philippine-China Economic Trade Forum held at the China World Hotel in Beijing Wednesday Aug. 31.

One of the things I learned from our photo-journalism instructor at Boston University’s School of Public Relations was this: A good news photograph is one that tells a story without the aid of a caption. To me, the PDI photo is the best of the three pictures. It is clear that PDI photographer Edwin Bacasmas grabbed a human-interest angle, thus seizing the eyes and interest of readers. It shows as if Vice Premier Qishan is saying to President Aquino, “Partner, feel at home ka lang, ha?”

We all appreciate that a photo is often more precise than the printed word in communicating a message. Photos can create curiosity, or pull the reader “to a new view of the familiar.” That is why, unknown to many, a photoeditor’s job is crucial. He decides what photo to use depending on the picture’s storytelling ability, its cropping flexibility, and the technical quality of the print or electronic copy.

For public relations practitioners who manage the publicity efforts of clients, there are some things that you must know about newspaper photos. Unless the photos you submit comply with the newspaper’s standards, your photo releases might be rejected.

Charlie Agatep is president & CEO of Euro RSCG Agatep PR.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:18:13 AM by charlieagatep »