Author Topic: Which one is correct?  (Read 5918 times)

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
Which one is correct?
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
1. Does absence make heart grow fonder men?

2. Does absence makes heart grow fonder men?

Melvin

• "I came. I learn. I share"
    • View Profile
Re: Which one is correct?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
Does absence make man's heart ponders?
Does absence make men's hearts ponder?

Sir Joe has better and detailed explanation. I also want to be corrected.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
Both of Sky's sentence constructions as well as both of melvinhate's are grammatically wrong. Sky's use of the comparative adjective "fonder" is correct, but the syntax of both of his sentences is faulty. On the other hand, melvinhate misuses the verb "ponder" in both of his sentences. The adjective "fonder," of course, means "more indulgent or more affectionate" towards something--it's the correct sense here--while the verb "ponder" means "to think about or reflect on," which is semantically off the mark in that sentence.

The correct construction for that interrogative sentence is "Does absence make men's hearts fonder?" This is actually the contemporary idiomatic expression "Absence makes men's hearts fonder" in question form. That idiomatic expression is, in turn, an 18th century variation of a line from the poem "Elegies" by the Roman poet Sextus Propertius ((50–45 BC - circa 15 BC) that translates into English as follows:

"Always toward absent lovers love's tide stronger flows."

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
Why do we say does absence make and not does absence makes?

Melvin

• "I came. I learn. I share"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
thank you for the correction....
thank you for sharing....

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
Why do we say "does absence make" and not "does absence makes"?

In English, it’s the helping verb and not the main verb that takes the tense, and in sentences in the interrogative form, the helping verb takes the frontline position, as in “Does absence make men’s hearts fonder?” Here, the helping verb is “does”—the present tense form of the verb—and the main verb is “make”—the bare infinitive form of “to make” that has shed off the “to.” This is the prescribed form in English for interrogative or question-form sentences in the present tense. Of course, the helping verb here can also take the two other simple tenses—the past tense (“Did absence make those men’s hearts fonder?”), the future tense (“Will absence make those men’s hearts fonder?”)—and in every case, the main verb “make” remains in its bare infinitive form.

In the present perfect tense and past perfect tense, however, the helping verb and the main verb behave differently. The helping verb takes the perfect tense—“has,” “have,” or “had”—and the main verb takes the past participle form. That sentence you presented will then take the following forms—present perfect tense (“Has absence made those men’s hearts fonder?”) and past perfect tense (“Had absence made those men’s hearts fonder?”).

In the progressive tense, the main verb takes the progressive form and the helping verb takes the simple tense, as in the following examples—the past progressive tense (“Was absence making those men’s hearts fonder?”), the present progressive tense (“Is absence making those men’s hearts fonder?”), and the future progressive tense (“Will absence be making those men’s hearts fonder?”).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:48:18 PM by Joe Carillo »

MerryJones

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - merryjones@preciousmoments.com.au
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MerryJones
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - MerryJones
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:06:44 AM »
No idea about,I was thinking in a different way. thank you for correcting me ;)