Author Topic: endorsement of / endorsement from  (Read 7464 times)

jeanne

• Initiate
    • View Profile
endorsement of / endorsement from
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
Hi everyone!

I would like to ask if which of the following phrases is grammatically correct:

- endorsement of a medical society; or,
- endorsement from a medical society.

I thought that the first one is correct, but someone told me it should be the latter.   I wonder what makes the difference.

Looking forward to your helpful responses.

Jeanne
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:56:45 PM by jeanne »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: endorsement of / endorsement from
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
Both phrases are grammatically correct but they differ in usage and meaning. When “endorsement of a medical society” is used, it means that the medical society is the recipient of the endorsement from some entity, as in this sentence: “Endorsement of a medical society by the government is subject to prior review by its duly designated health agency.” On the other hand, when “endorsement from a medical society” is used, it means that the medical society is the giver or source of the endorsement to some entity, as in this sentence: “An endorsement from a medical society is needed to authorize a doctor to participate in the international health conference.” An equivalent phrase that yields this “giver” or “source” sense is “endorsement by a medical society,” as in this alternative sentence construction to the preceding example: “An endorsement by a medical society is needed to authorize a doctor to participate in the international health conference.”

jeanne

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: endorsement of / endorsement from
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
Hello Joe,

Thank you for your quick reply.  Your explanation is also very enlightening.  More power to your site!

Jeanne