Author Topic: Result of the beach resort signage improvement contest  (Read 4892 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Result of the beach resort signage improvement contest
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:04:34 PM »
Three members of Jose Carillo’s English Forum had sent in their respective improved versions of the Isla Beach Resort canteen poster. The objective was not only to improve the poster’s English but also to make its language more communicative and reader-friendly.

The winning version is that of jonathanfvaldez. His is the best-phrased, most professional-sounding version among the three entries. I believe that the beach resort management—assuming that it would be open-minded about the exercise—would really appreciate and gladly use Jonathan’s version in place of the existing one.

For his entry, Jonathan wins the autographed copy of my new book, Give Your English the Winning Edge, as I had promised. The book is scheduled to roll off the press in two weeks’ time.

The two others who submitted entries, PretentiousDiction and Arvin Ortiz, both did very well in improving the English of the poster and also creditably made its language friendlier. In recognition of their efforts, I will send them an autographed copy each of my little grammar book, The 10 Most Annoying English Grammar Errors.

I’ll be sending the books by courier so I’d like to ask the three to e-mail me their delivery addresses.

Please join me in congratulating all three of them!

Joe Carillo

P.S. By the way, if Arvin can also give me the e-mail or snail-mail address of the beach resort, I’ll send Jonathan’s version of the poster to the beach resort’s manager with our compliments.