Author Topic: How to use the word "occupation" in a sentence?  (Read 42406 times)

nostalgic_haze

• Initiate
    • View Profile
How to use the word "occupation" in a sentence?
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:46:14 PM »
I read someone use this word like this: "My occupation is a teacher". But I think "My occupation is that of a teacher" and "My occupation is teaching" sound more correct.

Could anyone help me with this? I can't find any credible source online for this one. Thank you very much in advance!  :)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to use the word "occupation" in a sentence?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »
By definition, an “occupation” is an activity one engages in or is the principal business of one’s life, and the noun “teacher” means one who teaches or whose occupation is to instruct. To say “My occupation is a teacher” is therefore grammatically and semantically wrong. It erroneously makes the activity of teaching equivalent to the person who engages in it. Of course, the alternative statements you suggested, “My occupation is that of a teacher” and “My occupation is teaching,” sound correct, but they are grammatically and semantically correct to a fault.

We must take note here that the first-person statement “My occupation is a teacher” is a typical flawed response to this question: “What is your occupation?” The correct, natural, and straightforward response to that question is, of course, “I’m a teacher” or simply “Teaching.” To say “My occupation is that of a teacher” or “My occupation is teaching” is too agonizingly correct and stilted, and I must say that the English of the teacher who talks that way leaves much to be desired.

nostalgic_haze

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:50:42 PM »
Thank you for the explanation, sir.

I was wondering how to use this in a simple sentence to show ESL students the meaning of the word. Can I just use "My occupation is teaching"?

(By the way, I am not a teacher. I'm just helping out in editing some ESL materials.  ;D)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:52:19 PM by nostalgic_haze »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:18:23 AM »
Yes, of course, you can use “My occupation is teaching” to show ESL students what the word “occupation” means. I just want to point out that while grammatically correct, it's not an idiomatic way to talk. When asked about their occupation or when they want to introduce themselves, native English speakers who are teachers normally would use this simple declarative sentence: “I teach” or “I'm a teacher.”

nensyronn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
I think my occupation is a teacher is not correct but you can tell that my occupation is teaching. I think you can tell that in a simple way that I am a teacher.

dannyr

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »
"My occupation is that of a teacher" - sound really awful. Kind of..tarzan english.
But, it can be right..that was actually beauty of english language- expect the unexpected :)

edgarfrost23

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »
Whats your occupation? I think so.

sarahluke

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 03:48:05 AM »
"my occupation is teaching"

cateespimsleur

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pimsleur italian downloads
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
I think that my occupation is teacher is wrong. Saying that my occupation is teaching is the right. You can simply say that I am a teacher.