Author Topic: Listening is a Good Way to Learn English  (Read 16886 times)

demista

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Listening is a Good Way to Learn English
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
hi everyone,
Everyone knows that there are four skills in learning a language, namely listening, speaking, reading and writing. Listening is an essential part of interaction, and it is not the same from hearing. Naturally, children start listening to their parents as they are babies. They are often greeted, spoken to and well-liked without at all response predictable. Though no one knows if the baby understands the oral expressions, the process continues.

In learning English, listening can help develop speaking considerably. Although it is the essential of all skills, it is neither the easiest nor the most meaningless. Being a fine and enduring listener helps you not just solve many problems at work or home, but as well to distinguish the humankind through the eyes of others, in this manner opening your understanding and enhancing your ability for compassion.

We need to hear various types of English repeatedly and continuously if we famine to communicate correctly, meaningfully and spontaneously. When listening, we are reviewing a lot of English practice such as vocabulary, grammatical structures, intonation, accent and our own explanation. We can become skilled at extra terminology and expressions by hearing them regularly. We can experience English language radio programmes almost anywhere in the world. They are mostly pulled out on FM bands and aired particularly in support of foreigners. Listening can be an excellent "hobby" while we do other things such as cooking, ironing, exercising, relaxing and the like. In other terms, we have no wasted time at all.

Make certain you have the appropriate software to take advantage of what is free on the internet. You can download players and discover links to online radio stations at real.Com, windowsmedia.com and winamp.com. Today, you can even access them by internet. You'll attain some effective links in support of listening to the radio by internet, counting "News in Easy English", here. Films in English are a tremendous language resource. Using a DVD player is a notable way to help you enhance your English. It is superlative if you have some understanding of English. Make sure the DVD has the film or programme in English with your native language, both as the verbal word (dubbed) and with sub-titles.

I suggest to learning English in creative fun ways as follows:

• Watch the DVD all the way through in English only (no sub-titles).
• Watch it again (scene by scene) in English with your language as sub-titles. Repeat scenes as needed.
• Watch it again in (scene by scene) in English with English sub-titles. Repeat scenes as required.
• Watch it again in your language all the way through with English sub-titles. If you aren't sick to death of it yet watch it again in English all the way through with no sub-titles.
• As you watch the film scene by scene do a annotation the key new-found vocabulary, especially new phrases.

While you are listening to someone's conversation, do not interrupt with what you feel or think as regards the subject being discussed. Wait for a different person to ask your view prior to interrupting the flow of dialogue. Abstain from giving blunt advice. It is imperative not to disapprove of while listening, and in no way attack another person for his or her feelings.

Sometimes we might not hear and understand each expressions, it is acceptable to recap some of the things said by the speaker with the intent to clarify so as to we understood the message conveyed accurately. Capture the contents by listening accurately leads to speaking skill which is quite applicable to every day conversation.

NOTE FROM THE FORUM MODERATOR: We have determined that Forum member demista who posted this article here overlooked crediting it to its author and source. It was written by Anya Van Musico and originally appeared under the same title, “Listening is a Good Way to Learn English,” in the website Ezine @rticles. We are retaining the very instructive and interesting article as posted here, but we would like to apologize to Anya Van Musico for the absence of this attribution in the original posting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:34:07 AM by Joe Carillo »

mathew2chappel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Listening is a Good Way to Learn English
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:28:21 PM »
Absolutely,I too improved my English only by listening to people around me.I suggest you to keep reminding the things in English what you think in your mind,it is also one of the trick to improve your English.

justin04

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
YA YOU ARE RIGHT....it is a good way to learn english. watch English movie and listen english song it will help you a lot. 

MarkD17

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »
I think listening alone is incomplete. For me listening and practice talking in English with your friends are the best formula in learning English.

ross88online

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:30 AM »
I also think that only listening is not better if no talking.

rennijohn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »
Listening is the good way to learn English because when we listen something in English then we try to understand that. So with that we can learn many new words and that is good for learning English.

AngelaStephens

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »
Even reading books and magazines are also helpful.

dannyr

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »
i think that learning english is quite easy. allthose movies, music, internet surfing...that is quite enough to basically understand english and have a good vocabulary.
that;s for start. grammar isn't so easy but also isn't to hard comparing to other languages. live conversion is definetely the best way to improve skills and constantly learn. internet is full of free courses for english language, so it is on us to learn more and more every day...

jflow

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 02:43:11 PM »
true, listening is a perfect technique in improving the way we speak english.

essleweb

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
Yeah! I also agree with others that good listening is a best way to learn English.

Business Logo Design

rashikislet007

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
I learned my english through watching movies spoken in English, reading books and listening to other people. Another way of learning also is by trying to speak the words yourself.

Jacobe

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.adovio.com/
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
Yes you are right listening is a good way to learn English and you have shared a great article and i also use to watch movies and it helps me to correct my faults and correct my accent.

potrebitel01

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 04:37:59 AM »
Actually, listening is one of the best ways to learn English and any other language. Think about it - little kids learn to speak the language only by listening to others speaking it.

naveneet23

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »
Listening is a great way to improve your English, but I believe that speaking seems a little bit overlooked in this article. Make sure you repeat what you listen to whenever possible.
For example, you may install Winamp with a lyrics plugin and actually sing your favorite English songs. As always, persistence is the key to success and soon you will notice dramatic improvement in your speaking skills!
Large selection of pressure washer units, parts and accessories

Trixa Bell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Paramedic vs EMT
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »
You have to remember that it's not only the listening to the spoken word that can teach English to a person who doesn't speak it.  I had a friend who grew up in Argentina.  He had no one around him who spoke any English, and he was in a very poor area.  From what he told me, he got started with English by listening to old Guns & Roses tapes (1980s rock and roll music).  He had the accent that most Spanish-speaking people have, but it was very faint and his English was actually better than mine.

-- t