Author Topic: A gnawing doubt about what constitutes plagiarism  (Read 6511 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
A gnawing doubt about what constitutes plagiarism
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
Question sent in by e-mail by forces20 (November 12, 2010):

Dear Mr. Carillo,

As I know that as a journalist and former editor-in-chief, you can explain my doubts on this matter.

I have finished writing my oratorical piece that’s entitled “The Change I See Begins With Me,” but something deeply bothers me about the originality of my idea. My speech largely revolves around a system that I have coined as the “VIP system,” where the acronym stands for “Visualize, Internalize, and Prioritize.” Actually, these are the three steps for putting into reality one’s desire to become a UP student, as discussed with us by Prof. Violy Quintana in her webinar (seminar on the web). Since then, these three words have become my inspiration, and I believe that they constitute the best way to make change start with me.

Through my own words and ideas, I explained the meaning of the “VIP system” in my oratorical piece. I didn’t directly quote or use the examples Prof. Quintana gave us during the webinar. I have my doubts, though, as to whether using those three words is an act of plagiarizing somebody else’s work. I have such a shallow understanding of plagiarism so I am hoping that you can enlighten me about it.

My reply to forces20:

Plagiarism is stealing and passing off the published words or ideas of another as one’s own without crediting the source. It’s a crime and unethical act that may involve changing some words, paraphrasing, or copying an entire piece of someone else’s work, then claiming authorship for the material. In legal terms, it’s a violation of someone’s intellectual property rights to written material, particularly those covered by copyright.

Now, your question is whether the “VIP system” you have developed plagiarizes the intellectual property of Prof. Violy Quintana who, as you say, discussed the action steps “Visualize, Internalize, and Prioritize” for putting into reality one’s desire to become a UP student. Offhand, I don’t think you’ve done any plagiarizing. Unless she had specifically copyrighted the acronym “VIP,” the action steps “Visualize, Internalize, and Prioritize,” and whatever unique system she has developed around the concept, she can’t lay claim to the idea as her intellectual property, much less begrudge a student she has inspired to seriously pursue it and elaborate on it. On the contrary, I think she’ll be delighted to know that you have taken it upon yourself to spread her ideas further like a good disciple.

But as a matter of courtesy and to avoid any misunderstanding, it would be advisable for you to duly acknowledge Prof. Quintana’s webinar and her ideas as having provided the inspiration for your oratorical piece. Just give credit where credit is due. This way you’ll not only avoid being understood as attempting to plagiarize someone else’s work but also have the opportunity to express your appreciation to her and spread goodwill while sharing a great idea with others who could similarly benefit from it.

Justine A.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: A gnawing doubt about what constitutes plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
Thank you for elucidating to me my question on the matter of plagiarism.I don't remember anything that she and sir laset( I forgot to include his name) had copyrighted  the acronym "VIP".

Well, I have taken the iniative to ask them if they did so.

jammey

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Dominos Pizza Coupons
    • Email
Re: A gnawing doubt about what constitutes plagiarism
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
This is wonderful,